"The Ages and Historical Records of Pianos sold in America"

If your are looking for piano history or genealogy help, then this is the place for you. Please note that this is a working list and not all data is complete. Therefore, use this list as a starting point, and not as a final source. Our information is intended for use in public libraries and educational institutions. 




Samick Musical Instruments Mfg. Co., Ltd., of  Inchon,  Korea, announced the formation of its new wholly American owned subsidiary, Samick America Corp., in February 1982.

For years, Samick has been the chosen piano of leading conservatories, concert halls, and institutions of higher learning where music has always been an important part of the curriculum. Samick pianos have been awarded numerous Gold and Silver Medals by countries all around the world for excellence in tone, touch, quality, stability, durability, and overall superiority of materials used in manufacturing. The most recent awards were the International World Olympics Medal for superior design and the Grand Prix Award from Spain for superior overall quality and design.

A complete new line of pianos was introduced at the 1982. Samick manufactures a full line of grand pianos (two 5,1", one 5'4", two 5'9", and one 6'10") along with a complete line of consoles, studios, and professional uprights (four 42", three 45", three 48", and three 52" models).

Samick Musical Instruments Mfg. Co., Ltd., was established in 1958 in Inchon, Korea, and today is the oldest and largest piano manufacturer in Korea and the third largest in the world. From the small workshop of the early years, the Samick factories have grown into a network of modern and highly sophisticated manufacturing facilities. All Samick pianos are stained, filled, sealed, and covered with the finest quality finishes available. All exposed internal wood parts are sealed to protect them against all moisture and atmospheric conditions. Samick pianos are exported to Asian, European, and other world markets. The firm imports the finest components: Royal George felt from England; 21-ply, cross laminated pin blocks from Delignite of Germany; Sitka spruce from Alaska; Schwander style actions for verticals and Renner style actions for grands; German steel strings; hard rock maple for action parts; and nickel-plated cut thread tuning pins for better tuning stability.

All Samick pianos are available in eight high polish and eight satin finishes, including ebony, white, walnut, mahogany, teak, ivory, oak, and rosewood.



The Carl Sauter piano factory ranks among the oldest family run establishments in the piano industry. Its founder, Johann Grimm, learned his trade from 1813 to 1819 at the celebrated Streicher Workshops in Vienna. He passed his knowledge on to his adopted son, Carl Sauter, and ever since succeeding genera-tions of the Sauter family have upheld these traditions and enjoyed a firm position in the piano world.

Sauter uprights and grands continue to maintain their stylistic and musical identity. Sauter uprights are available in three different sizes, each visually and tonally distinct: 110(43-1/3"), 120 (47-1/4"), an(l 130 (51"). Models 120 and 130 are equipped with the Sauter special double escapement action, R-2, as a standard feature. Carl Sauter and his son, Johann, rec-ognized the clear advantages of the R-2 in the mid-l9th century, and the R-2 has been deci-sively improved under the management of the present director, Carl Sauter. Because of its reliable rebound and its rapid return of the hammer ready for restriking, the R-2 action facilitates delicate and discriminative proper-ties of touch usually found only on a grand piano.

The Sauter grand pianos have won praise from classical performers and jazz pianists alike. Sauter instruments reveal both construc-tion thinking and the consistent application of time-proven principles ofdesign. Sauter's modern facilities create the necessary conditions for producing all components to high-precision standards.



The home of the famous Adam Schaaf grand, upright and player pianos and reproducing pianos at their imposing, and beautiful six story fireproof building, 319-321 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago. This, with the new factory at 1020 Central Park Avenue, Chicago, costing about $400,000, makes the Adam Schaaf institution one of the best equipped in the world. It marks a new fulfillment of a great idea and ideals that have won in an unprecedented degree. And to still higher levels the Adam Schaaf instruments continue to advance time tested by thousands of satisfied, ever enthusiastic owners and customers. To make still better the best Adam Schaaf piano has been the aim and the inspiration of the experienced workers in the Adam Schaaf factory as well as the ambition of the gentlemen who direct the company's destinies. How well these aims and ambitions have succeeded is told in the fact that the three fold output has not kept pace with the steadily increasing demand. These instruments are the product of a house of the highest responsibility and unlimited credit. Adam Schaaf Reproducing Pianos in Grands and Uprights are very distinguished.



Pianos and player pianos which have gained an enviable reputation for beautiful tone qualities. Sold by the largest dealers throughout the country. First manufactured in New York by William Schaeffer beginning about 100 years ago in 1873 he was one of the early pioneer piano builders of the European school, In 1878 the Schaefer was awarded a diploma of honor at the Paris Exposition. In 1888 the business was removed to Chicago.

The Schaefer instruments are distributed at wholesale by the Schaefer Piano Mfg. Co., 2095 State St., Chicago, Ill. With 50 years of continuous improvement, it can be truthfully said that few pianos give better satisfaction to the purchaser for durability and pure tonal quality. A piano of the highest type, thoroughly reliable and so carefully and scientifically constructed that no one need hesitate about buying The Schaefer player pianos are easy to play and so effective they are almost human in their operation.



Established in 1903 by the Schafer Brothers in St. Louis as The Schafer Piano Works. Their pianos, both in the Grand and upright designs, are especially known for their remarkably appealing tonal qualities. The sweet mellowness of tone, and wide range of volume make their instruments a favorite with those musically educated. Their styles are always of the most modern design, and the superior durability of Schafer pianos,. Instruments are well known and readily understood when it is known they employ in all departments only the most skilled of the piano trade craftsmen, and all material must measure up to their critical requirements. One requirement was that every single Schafer piano had to be inspected and signed by William, Jacob, or Walter Schafer before it could leave the factory.


If there was ever an award for excellence and contributions to an industry, Vern Scafer would win it hands down. Schafer & Sons was more than a company. It was a family dedicated to music and fine musical instruments. A World Class Act.

Vertical pianos that were manufactured in the United States included 13 decorator models. Sizes include 3711 spinet throh 42" console pianos. Imported vertical pianos include nine models of console and professional uprights, sized 41" through 52". Grand models include the Baby, Studio, Parlor, Semi-Concert, and fall 9' Concert. Schafer & Sons Player Pianos led the field in performance and soffware selection. The Nickelodian was an unsul entertainment value.



Piano's of a popular grade made at 432-440 Austin Place, New York, by the Schencke Piano Co.,



Manufactured by B. Scherpe & Sons, practical piano makers, at 21O3 Clybourn Ave, Chicago. Instruments of good, durable character. The firm also makes player pianos bearing this name.



These instruments possess remarkable tone qualities. The case designs are chaste and beautiful, and the construction is in the best sense durable and reliable. Schaff Bros. instruments are made in uprights and player pianos and they have a record of perfect satisfaction. The Schaff Bros. grown steadily and its progress has developed the musical qualities of the piano without so far advancing the prices as to dwarf their great popularity. Dealer: who sell these instruments praise their attractive qualities; and the rapid development of the factory productions, under the present management, is the best guaranty of improved methods.



In Wurtenburg-Stuttgart, Germany, the Schiedmayer piano was born in 1809, at the time of and in the area of the dawn of the Industnal Revolution. The Schieddaayer srore was on the town square, near other quality piano builders. Few could match the Schiedrrayer quality.

Behind Schiemayer is a combination of the tradition, experience, and tone color of the Germans and the pauence and know-how of the Japanese.

The Schiedmayer scales are now manulactured by the Japanese in a relationship that claims the hest of both cultures. The line offers 43" and 48" uprights in ebony, snow white, mahogany, and walnut. Grands are 6' and 6' 11", with the 6' offered in the same colors as the uprights; the 6'1 1" is available in ebony only.




Durable and attractive pianos, player pianos, made by Schleicher & Sons.



The Schiller product has gained an enviable reputation in the piano field. More than 68,000 of this well known makes have been made and sold, all of which has been accomplished without extensive advertising, the sales resulting from the enthusiasm of Schiller owners who recommend them to their friends. Through exclusive features and excellent quality Schiller pianos and players have been in demand by representative dealers from coast to coast. In keeping with the policy of the company to combine meritorious features in their product they are now building a Grand of distinctive quality under the patent of Wm. Bauer, President of Julius Bauer & Co., Chicago, an acoustician of national reputation. The scale and patterns have been drafted and made by Mr. Bauer personally and the work is being carried on under his instruction. The Bauer patent has an established reputation as scientific grand piano construction. The improvement in tone is gained by having the strings about two inches from the sound board as compared to one inch in the regular construction. This construction gives added strength and eliminates to a minimum susceptibility to atmospheric changes. The Schiller line includes uprights, grands, players, reproducing uprights and grands. A complete line of high quality instruments.



Schimmel produces high-quality pianos. It has proficient, dedicated staff, a well established partnership with its worldwide dealer network.

In 1971 Schimmel became a majority stockholder in the May piano factory in Berlin, and a contract was signed with the ciete Gaveau-Erard in Paris for the produc-in under license of pianos bearing the three world-famous French brand names of Gaveau-Erard and Playel.

Probably the most important contributing for to Schimmel's success is the decision not produce any cheap leader pianos, but instead ater to an exclusive clientele: those who are king for top quality in sound, workmanship, touch, exquisite cabinetry, and, above all, a lasting investment, and who are willing and in a position to pay for these things. Despite the important role played by automatic machines and computers in increasing production efficiency, Schimmel still performs most of the operations by hand in order to maintain its worldwide reputation for quality.


A house of national reputation. Makers of only artistic pianos and player-pianos. Schumann instruments are made in their factory at Rockford, Illinois, where the industry was removed from Chicago in 1903. All instrument: made by the Schumann Piano Co. and are of one quality, the highest; all bear the one name, Schumann, and are backed by the famous Schumann Unlimited Warranty. The Schumann piano is especially noted for the many exclusive and improved features which it contains; one of particular value from a tonal standpoint being. their system of dowel pin construction of the sounding board, ribs and bridges, doing away with any metal touching these parts, assuring the sounding board of exceptional vibrating power. Workmanship is the mast skilled, and the materials used are the finest. The tone of the Schumann piano justly deserves the reputation which it has won throughout the country, Possessing that rare singing quality so much desired. Schumann cases are of beautiful finish and design. The Schumann piano has been honored by testimonials from many of the greatest artists and musician Schumann instruments are meeting with demand in foreign countries because of their ability, due to the individuality of construction, to withstand trying climatic conditions. The factory at Rockford is very finely equipped, electric power being used and every facility afforded for the production of pianos of the finest quality. Mr. W. N. Van Matre, president of the Schumann Piano Co., is a recognized expert in both the making and marketing of such an instrument Dealers who handle the Schumann very warmly of its attributes. The Schumann player piano, manufactured complete in the Schumann factory, under Schumann patents, is an important factor in the business of this company. The Schumann player action is made complete in the factories of the company at Rockford. Purchasers are especially cautioned against spurious or imitation Schumann piano several of which have appeared in the trade. Genuine Schumann: bear the Schumann head trade mark.



Pianos, player-pianos. Grand and Reproducing Pianos known throughout the piano world as instruments of the highest class. The M. Schultz piano of the best known, most highly organized, reputable and extensive piano manufacturing concerns in the country. Technically, the instruments made by this concern and note for scientific correctness of scale, highest grade of workmanship, and extreme care in choice of only the finest in material, backed up by long experience. The tone quality of M. Schulz pianos is the strong point of them, possessing a roundness, purity and mellow singing beauty all its own. This company is also distinguished for turning out case work of true artistic excellence, with a purity of design and fineness of finish which are in every way distinguished. Added refinements in case designs of special period art models are features of M. Schulz Co. production. The company's ambition has always been to make the best pianos regardless of cost. The player-pianos made by this company are genuine Schulz pianos combined with a special player mechanism, devised in the Schulz factories, and made in them under the supervision of the inventor. Thus the Schulz player-piano not only has many original features, but is a combination of parts designed for each other from the first and in perfect harm any throughout. Schulz Aria Divina Reproducing pianos are a standard with dealers everywhere.



This German factory was founded in 1849 and is owned by Steffen Seiler, of the fourth generation of the Seiler family, and his wife, Ursula. Seiler produces top-quality upright pianos in 27 styles, in different woods and finishes.


Small grand pianos, exclusively, bear this name, which is that of an expert piano manufacturer of thirty-five years experience in some of the foremost industries. The Settergren grand pianos are the result of a determination to create high grade instruments upon the most modern lines, and to this end Mr. B. K. Settergren applied the experience and skill acquired in some of the most famous industries. His success is the best possible proof of the accuracy of his judgement in gauging the advanced musical appreciation of both trade and public. The line of grands produced by the B. K. Settergren Co. has met the most critical requirements to such an extent that the factory has been more than doubled in capacity within the three years since its establishment. The growth indicated is evidence of one of almost phenomenal success in an industry devoted solely to small grand pianos. The Settergren grands are beautiful in design and finish, and they respond to the musical desires of people who know what good music is.



Pianos and player pianos of durable and attractive character are manufactured by the Schmidt Dauber Company.



The famous "Gold String" piano, founded in Philadelphia, 1838, is manufactured by the SCHOMACKER Piano Company Philadelphia.



Coin operated pianos, Orchestrions, Theatre Organs, made by the J. P. Seeburg Piano Co., the pioneer automatic industry of Chicago, have attained leadership in this particular field. They are splendid instruments of highest grade containing a most durable mechanisms and many desirable features.



Pianos bearing this name is the product of the P.S. Wick Co., of North St. Paul, Minn. and Industry that enjoy a fine reputation for skill and reliability. Manufacturers' name appears on the fall board and plate and the Shattuck is a reliable piano in every particular. It is of pleasing tone quality, and is so carefully made as to insure its durability. A safe piano to buy in every respect, and sold at a very moderate price when the character of both materials and workmanship employed in its construction is considered. While only the name of the manufacturers now appears on the fall board, the iron plate carries the name "Shattuck."



The House of Shoninger is one of the oldest among the piano manufacturers, having been established by B. Shoninger in 1850. During this long and celebrated career it has always been identified by which standards of manufacture and recognition from many of the world's great artists and authorities. At the Paris International Exposition, at the Rotterdain World's Fair and at the Chicago Exposition, Shoninger pianos obtained highest awards. The qualities that gained recognition for these instruments have not been acquired in one or two generations, but is the result of over years of expert piano building. The founder of this old firm gained note not only as a piano and organ builder, but also for the many inventions that materially helped to improve the pianos and organs lie made. His descendants have always borne in mind his high ideals and carried them out and in that way tamed the prestige that these instruments had already gained. They have a modern and up to date factory in which they produce both the upright and Grand models of all types that have met with the greatest appreciation from both the public and the trade. Today the name "Shoninger" means artistic leadership to a legion of music lovers and Shoninger progress ut the future will be dotted with new and greater triumphs, for never more imposing were the resources behind this time-honored name. Slioninger pianos are sold the world over and they will be found in the most representative piano stores in the United States.


SEYBOLD Pianos and player pianos of attractive and durable qualities bearing this name are manufactured by J P. Johnson Piano Co., of Elgin and Ottawa, Ill.


SHAW This instrument was originally made in Erie, Pa., the business being established more than twenty years ago. In a 1900 the Shaw business was purchased by Chas. Stieff, Inc., of Baltimore, Md.,


SHERWOOD Dependable pianos manufactured by the Clarendon Piano Co., Rockford, Ill. Serviceable, well-built pianos possessing musically good tone.



Manufactured by the Schubert Piano Co.,. These instruments, made in uprights, grands and reproducing pianos, are from an old established industry and contain a new tone device known as the "Virzi." At the Paris International Exposition, at the Rotterdain World's Fair and at the Chicago Exposition, Shubert pianos obtained highest awards. The qualities that gained recognition for these instruments have not been acquired in one or two generations, but is the result of over years of expert piano building. The founder of this old firm gained note not only as a piano and organ builder, but also for the many inventions that materially helped to improve the pianos. His descendants have always borne in mind his high ideals and carried them out and in that way tamed the prestige that these instruments had already gained. They have a modern and up to date factory in which they produce both the upright and Grand models of all types that have met with the greatest appreciation from both the public and the trade.


SELECTRA This name is given to a dependable special device for selecting at will any tune desired which appears on a ten-piece re -roll automatic music roll. It is made and controlled by the Western Electric Piano Co., of Chicago.



Pianos and player-pianos which bear this now widely known name are manufactured by the Singer Division of the Steger & Sons Piano Mfg. Co., of Chicago and Steger, Ill. Singer pianos were first offered the public in 1884. The Singer piano and player piano are very desirable instruments of beautiful touch, great durability and very attractive qualities, fully guaranteed. They are noted for good workmanship and in their manufacture materials of approved quality are used. Singer pianos are recognized by the piano trade and piano buying public as desirable instruments in their class, and all the qualities of the Singer pianos will be found to an equal degree in the Singer player-pianos, which are dependable instruments, not only in material construction but equally in the player mechanism.



Known as "the Pioneer pianos of the West." The first pianos manufactured in Chicago for wholesale trade. This was in 1884. The manufacture of these instruments is conducted tinder a strong organization headed by The Continental Piano Co. The Smith & Barnes player-pianos are of the same high character and have earned for themselves a place among the leading player-pianos of the country. The Smith, Barnes & Strobber Company, manufacturers of the Smith & Barnes pianos, stand among the highest commercially in the piano manufacturing industry. Main office and factory at Chicago. Very large branch factory at No. Milwaukee, Wis. See also Smith, Barnes & Strobber Co



One of the oldest names in the American piano world. These pianos, player-pianos and grands are manufactured by a division of the Goldsmith Piano Co. of Chicago, an industry of utmost responsibility. Smith & Nixon pianos have held a place very high in the esteem of discriminating musical people and, under present conditions, their position will be maintained.



This famous, old-established House, is one of the limited number still solely owned, controlled and directed by the immediate family of the founder. Though tracing its origin back to 1860, the first Sobmer piano was actually built in 1872, when Hugo Sohmer founded the firm of Sohmer & Co., in New York.

Located in an entire building constructed to their special requirements, and in an atmosphere that attracts connoisseurs of afl the arts, Sohmer & Co., Inc.,display pianos representative of the finest furniture styles. Each model is a decorative accomplishment as well as a remarkable musical instrument. The phenomenal success of the Sohmer Console-Vertical has in no way diminished the fact that Sohmer & Co. has always been and always A Grand Piano House. Ever since the invention of the baby grand by Sohmer in 1884-.Sohmer grand pianos have had a dominating role in the home market. This Grand is remarkable for the volume and resonance of its tone, despite its diminutive size, being only five feet long and four feet five inches wide. Hugo Sohmer patented the first five foot grand in 1884 and the style 50 Grand of today is the logical development of this pioneer effort. 75 years of continuous improvement of tone model is typical of the Sohmer pursuit of perfection and the Sohmer Family states, without reservation or exception that it is their confirmed belief that no other small grand approximates the Sohmer in tone and response. Its perfect symmetry of form and the extraordinary quality of its tone result from its scientific scale and integrally cast C'Apo D'Astro bar, another patented feature of Sobmer construction. Hugo Sohmer's first five foot grand, made in 1881, is still in use and is played daily by visitors to the SohmerGalleries in New York. This piano has all the original parts. No repairs have been made because none have been necessary.

Sohmer has also pioneered in the introduction of the popular small pianos known as "Spinets." Never since its inspection, has the Sohmer console been an abbreviated upright piano. Sohmer & Co. early discarded all thoughts and precepts of upright construction concentrating rather on the principles of the grand piano scale and string distribution. As a result the Sohmer Console Vertical has long been known as "The Musicians' Console." As the science of acoustics has progressed, they have applied new principles in the making of their "Console Vertical," creating tonal results considered impossible only a short time ago. Due to an original scale featuring a fan like disposition of the strings these small pianos are a revelation of modern acoustics with their brilliant treble, full middle tones and sonorous bass. All Sohmer Console-Verticals are guaranteed to have more than 96% grand piano string distribution.

Educational institutions had to make a critical choice of musical equipment. To purchase the best available instruments that the school budget would allow, this was long before the commercial practice of giving the school instruments for advertising and promotional considerations. Each school or university would usually make their selection based on which piano offered the most value exceeding the price, most of them selected Sohmer.

No comment on the Sohmer piano is complete without a repetition of the famous Sobmer Creed:

"To build the finest piano that human ingenuity, skill, knowledge, craftsmanship and family tradition can possibly produce. To utilize the world's markets to procure the best materials regardless of cost. To maintain that quality unswervingly and never to sacrifice one iota to gain an added profit, no matter how great. To preserve the integrity and individuality of the Sohmer institution free from outside affiliation or influences. To be governed always and under all circumstances by sound principles and never by expediency."



This remarkable instrument is the Euphona Inner-Player equipped with the well-known patented Solo Carola mechanism, the only device ever made whereby solo and accompaniment notes can be struck independently or simultaneously throughout the entire length of the keyboard with any desired degree of power. The result is a player-piano of the highest artistic merit. The Solo Euphona Inner-Player is made in its entirety by The Cable Company, Chicago,



From its first appearance a great many years ago it has been the ambition of the manufacturers of the Starck piano to create an instrument distinctive in its expression of the skill and care by which it is produced. Mr. P. A. Starck had been engaged in the piano business during his entire lifetime and he had a desire to excel any of the instruments with which he had been associated. With this purpose in view he founded the industry that bears his name and he succeeded in presenting to the piano buying public an instrument of the highest type. The Starck up rights affords fine specimens of case design and the tonal effects are the result of expert scale drafting and acoustic development of the only kind that can insure evenness, power, and the gradations which delight the sensitive ear. The Starck grand pianos are artistic in construction and in results. They have shown a distinct advance of late years, and the character of tone and powers attest to the methods employed by the skilled workers in the factory of the P.A. Starck Piano Company in Chicago. The Starck reproducing piano is a triumph in the most advanced department of construction. It has won the indorsement of many artists, and the Starck grand has been used and highly praised by pianists, vocalist's operatic artists whose testimonials form a sheaf of strength to these instruments. The Starck player-pianos include the latest improvements by which are insured the most artistic effects and permit widest range of expression. Starck player-pianos are made in both grand and upright cases. Unique and distinctive features of construction will he found in the Starck piano; the most important of those special features is the sounding board construction which includes the Starck bent acoustic rim. This gives the Starck upright the tone of a grand piano and makes it especially well adapted for concert use.



A name used exclusively by The Cable Company to designate their well-known patented Solo Carola pneumatic player mechanism, which they install in their Conover, Carola and Euphona Inner-Player pianos. The invention was completed nine years ago, but instead of immediately placing these Inner-Player pianos on the market, they were put in testing rooms and their conduct watched under varying conditions and every conceivable test. These instruments are the first and only player-pianos so far invented on which you can strike any of eighty-eight solo or accompaniment notes, either independently or simultaneously, with varying degrees of power. There are eighty-eight slot-like openings extending above the regular orifices on the tracker board. This gives independent solo control to every one of the eighty-eight notes on the keyboard, and it is done without increasing the length of the tracker board. This new Solo Carola mechanism enables the production of a solo note with an intensity many times greater than the accompaniment, and on a very low air pressure. There are no levers to operate; it is all done automatically. These instruments will play any standard eighty-eight note roll. Naturally, player-pianos of this type appeal directly to musical people. The Solo Carola mechanism 15 installed in both the Solo Carola and the Solo Euphona Inner-player, to which refer elsewhere.


SOLOTONE The name adopted by Schaff Bros. Co. of Huntington. Ind., for their player-pianos. Instruments of such attractive characteristics and musical qualities as to have made them favorites wherever known.



The Starr Piano Co. was organized in 1872 at Richmond, Ind., by men whose names rapidly became known as among the best of American piano builders. The foundation based upon advanced methods and a careful detail of workmanship soon received its award by the constant growth. This organization today occupies a factory consisting of thirty-one buildings and having a combined floor space of more than five hundred thousand square feet. The buildings are located in the center of a plot of ground thirty-five acres in extent, which is devoted entirely to the interests of the company. This space affords the basis for an extensive and intelligent handling of lumber, the storage of more than four million feet, permitting every preparation requisite to be properly made for piano making. In this factory every part of Starr pianos and Starr-made pianos is completely from the basic material, including the player mechanism in its entirety. With these facilities every known labor-saving device has been possible and the elimination of cost greatly enhances values which can be given by this industry. The business of the company is ably directed by its executive officers-Mr. Harry Gennett, president; Mrs. Alice L. Gennett, chairman board of directors; Mr. Clarence Gennett, treasurer; Mr. Fred Gennett, secretary. All have devoted their entire lives to up building of the business. The sales organization ably seconds the executive officers. The distribution of the products of the Starr factory is to all parts of the world. At competitive exhibitions held the Starr pianos have invariably obtained the highest awards, and number among the honor's awards at the Cincinnati Industrial Exposition in 1880, the Chicago World's Fair in 1898, the National International Exposition in 1897, the St. Louis Exposition in 1904, the Seattle Exposition in 1909, the Panama California Exposition in 1915, and many others. Starr-made grand pianos are built in three sizes. The smallest size is but five feet two inches long and bears the company's copyrighted trademark

"Minimum," which indicates the exclusive features of this instrument. The other sizes of parlor and concert grand are well adapted for the field in which that class of instrument is used. Several models of upright pianos and player-pianos are made. In each of them the style and dimensions are varied to meet the particular requirement toward which the design of the instrument has been directed. The fundamental element of proper musical manufacture, the pure, even quality scale, is universally used, and the feeling which the resultant tone quality has obtained warrants the highest commendation. An extended number of models of player-pianos are likewise made. Many of the Starr models bear the exclusive feature of Starr light a luminous music well, making more attractive evening' playing. All instruments made in the Starr factory are fully covered by an absolute guarantee.



The leading player piano of the H. C. Bay Co. line, to whom refer. One style is manufactured equipped with the reliable H. C. Bay player action, made in its entirety in the H. C. Bay factory at Bluffton, Ind. Beautifully finished, and of fine musical tone, a player for the most exclusive trade. The H. C. Bay player action is proclaimed as one which "will be acclaimed by every tuner, and player regulator looking after the instruments. H. C. Bay player pianos have won a prominent place in the world of music and their production increases rapidly as the desirability of these instruments becomes known.



Pianos and player-pianos of good character and durability are manufactured by the Spector & Son Piano Co., whose wareroom and offices were at 324 Grand Street, New York. The factory is at 417-423 West 28th Street and is in charge of an expert piano maker. The output is sold mainly by the New York retail house.



Pianos and player-pianos of attractive designs and fine tone are manufactured by the Spencer Piano Co., Inc. Spencer pianos and players have attained a good place in the musical world and the industry is growing rapidly.



Manufactured by Kohler & Campbell, Inc., Fiftieth St. and Eleventh Ave., New York City, who control the name and assets of the Spies Piano Company. A popular priced piano of a dependable value instrument that sells easily and gives satisfaction.



Almost from the first arrival in New York of the Steinway family, in 1850, the name has been famous in the history of the American piano. The single aim of the founder was to produce an ideal instrument, and with what grand and satisfactory results, the career of the house which he founded attests. The Steinway piano is too well known and too distinctly and indisputably artistic in its sphere and standing to require any great endorsement here. Its development is a fascinating story and lends honor and credit to its makers as well as to the art of piano-making. "Steinway" pianos are made in all styles and for all climes and all lands; uprights, grands and concert grands. A specialty is also made of art pianos, specially designed, hand decorated and finished in a most sumptuous manner.

The first Steinway piano was made by Henry Engelhard Steinway, with his own hands, at Season. Its construction occupied the leisure of a whole year. When Theodore Steinway, for whom this famous piano was built, was fourteen years old, the business of manufacture was so well perfected that the Steinway piano took the premium at the Brunswick Fair. In 1850 the family located in New York leaving a thriving trade behind them in charge of Theodore Steinway, and bringing sufficient capital to start a new factory. Three years were occupied in learning American methods of work and then the factory was opened in Varick St., New York, by the father and his sons, Charles, Henry and William. A year later, March 1854, the American piano took its first premium at the Metropolitan air held in Washington, D. C. The Steinway overstrung pianos were next exhibited at the American Institute, held in the New York Crystal Palace, in 1855, and took all prizes. The London Exposition followed in 1862, and the Paris Exposition in 1867, at which the Steinway pianos received the first prize medal and the grand gold medal, respectively. The piano received at least thirty-five premiums at the principal fairs in the United States between the years 1855 and 1862, since which time the house has been an exhibitor at international expositions only. The "Steinway" has been used by the most eminent artists of both hemispheres and is as well known in art circles of the Old World as it is in the New.

There has been no change in the Steinway goal. Perfection is still the aim and the result, skilled craftsmanship isstill the means loyalty and pride have simply been spilled over from family worker to factory worker. Where mass production logically stresses speed, economy, and replaceable parts, the Steinway company still stresses beauty, quality, and durability.

In every consumer publication, in every era for over one hundred and fifty years, Steinway is the standard of comparison the world over. Any statement contrary to that fact is simply competitors defeat and is not worthy of comment.



Manufactured by the Harrington Department of Hardman, Peck & Co., New York. A moderately priced instrument which fulfills in complete measure the public requirements. Its tone is very musical, and the vital qualities are perpetuated by durability. Special attention has been given to Standard case designs, executed by one of the most famous designers. For general charm and correctness of detail, these instruments are unique in their class. The name "Standard" is a registered trademark belonging to Hardman. Peck & Co.



The development of the Steinert piano has covered a period of many years under the personal direction of Alexander Steinert, present head of the house. His expert knowledge of practical piano building and the application of scientific principles of construction has been employed in bringing the Steinert piano to its present state of excellence.



An artistic instrument consisting of the Steinway piano equipped with a Duo-Art Reproducing action. It was marketed solely by The Aeolian Co., New York.



The great industry by which Steger & Sons Grand and upright pianos, player pianos. player grand pianos, reproducing uprights and grand pianos and Steger phonographs are manufactured was established in 1879 and Incorporated in 1892 as the Steger & Sons Piano Mfg. Co. The factories were at Steger, III., where the Dixie highway and Lincoln highway meet, twenty-nine miles from Chicago, on the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad. The town, which was founded by the late John V. Steger for the purpose of establishing there the great industry, has developed into a place of importance generally speaking, and of vast importance in its relation to piano manufacture. The town occupies a tract of 1,500 acres and the land was purchased by the company for development along the lines which have given to it a conspicuous place. Steger is a community of intelligent, progressive citizens, the larger proportion of whom are workers in the piano factories controlled by Steger & Sons Piano Mfg. Co. Most of the workers own their own homes, which were built by the company and sold to employ on easy payments at cost of erection. The town is supplied with all of the conveniences of a modern city and the school system is a matter of local pride. Owing to the relations which exist between the piano industry and its employees there never arises any of the unrest which sometimes interferes with the progress of industrial communities. Strikes are never known there and the policy long ago adopted has insured not only the prosperity of individuals by the advancement of the Steger & Sons instruments throughout the entire country. Steger & Sons pianos, possessing beautiful tone and artistic excellence, have attained to a place of distinction in the musical world. From the first it has been the policy to insist upon the most careful workmanship and first cost has not been considered in any of the parts or processes which go to the creation of these instruments. They are represented and sold by a very large proportion of the prominent and progressive piano merchants of the United States. They are found in many of the leading musical colleges and conservatories, and are bought by discriminating lovers of music. A feature of the Steger & Sons' pianos is the artistic case designs, and to this end a special art department is maintained in which are employed noted experts in the creation of original effects. Steger instruments are backed by the liberal Steger guarantee. The financial strength of the company is unquestioned. One of Chicago's imposing skyscrapers is the Steger Bldg., at the northwest corner of Wabash Ave. and Jackson Blvd. It is in the center of Chicago's piano row and it forms one of the impressive monuments to the attainments of the Steger & Sons' industries. The Steger Bldg. is nineteen stories high and was erected at a cost of about $l,000,000, The names of pianos are arranged alphabetically in this book to ascertain the character and reliability of any instrument.



Steck pianos have for a great many years sustained a high place in the musical world. They are recognized as among the few old standard makes the fame of which survives. Some of the most distinguished artists have endorsed the Steck piano and in doing so have taken personal interest in testifying to the value of the many improvements and inventions contained in these instruments. The Steck Pianola is a combination of the Steck piano and the Pianola player action.



Sterling pianos and player-pianos have long been favorites among the characteristically American instruments. They are of fine tone quality and their standing in the world of music is all the commendation that could be he desired by the most critical piano lover. In fact, "Sterling" is a name high in the annals of the American piano. It is the name of the founder of the industry, which was incorporated in 1866. The Sterling Instruments stand as representative of the high attainments of American craftsmanship and in every particular they are recognized as leaders among people of discriminating tastes. Of late years a marked improvement has been made in the Sterling musical scale and under the present management the Sterling Piano Corporation is a powerful influence with trade and public



This is a popular priced, durable piano one of the products of the great house of Baldwin.


CHAS. M. STIEFF Pianos and player-pianos of excellent reputation, manufactured by Chas. M. Stieff, Inc., Baltimore, Md. The Chas. M. Stieff piano is among the old and conservatively made instruments. These pianos are durable, well made and sustain the character of their makers as a responsible business house.



Grands, uprights and player-pianos bearing this name are products of the old and responsible firm of the Story & Clark Piano Co., of Chicago, Ill., and Grand Haven, Mich., the extensive factory being in the latter city. The pianos and player-pianos of this house are of the high-grade class in every particular and they are in great demand because of their excellence and the enterprise of their manufacturers. Story & Clark instruments are nationally advertised and have been used by many great artists. Few piano industries can claim to have a larger distribution among music lovers of the highest discrimination. The house of Story & Clark is one of the oldest in the history of piano manufacturing in the west, and it has from the first stood unchallenged for integrity and ambition. Story & Clark pianos are made in uprights, grands, player-pianos and reproducing pianos. In addition, this great firm are the sole manufacturers of the Repro-Phraso player-piano. This new and beautiful instruments a personal expression player enabling anyone to take any common 88-note music roll and trace the melody throughout the selection, perfectly phrasing, shading and obtaining sustenuto effects exactly as if you were playing with your hands on the keys. Special rolls are not required to obtain the fine musical effects.



William Stehle, 1006 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, Md., makes a meritorious instrument and one to be commended for tone quality and durability. The name of an expert piano maker who, after long association with a famous old Chicago industry, has been manufacturing fine pianos and player-pianos which bear his name A small industry of high ambitions. Established in 1924.



Manufactured by the Stodart Piano Co, at Southern Blvd. and Trinity Ave, New York Trademark registered in 1892. The first Stodart piano was built in 1832. This company is controlled by Jacob Doll & Sons, Incorporated, The "Stodart" is an instrument of established reputation and merit and has a wide reputation throughout the trade. Jacob Doll & Sons



Founded in 1857 in Burlington, Vt., by Rampton L. Story. Born with a deep, inherited appreciation of music, Hampton Story was an accomplished pianist at the age of ten. At twenty, he was a busy piano teacher, and at twenty~two he began to manufacture the pianos he knew and loved so well. Hampton Story's first instruments were built in a modest workshop overlooking Lake Champlain. There, with typical Yankee thoroughness he constructed pianos of such high quality that his name Soon spread, and within a few years buyers were coming from such distant cities as New York, Buffalo and Cleveland. A true New Englander, Story had an instinctive dislike of superficialities and shoddy methods, insisting on the best or nothing attitude. Six years after he had made his first piano, Hampton Story enlisted in the Army. After the war ended, the country was in a surging and expansive mood, and the Mid-West offered splendid Possibilities for the manufacture and marketing of pianos. Whatever the exact reason, in 1867 the firm moved to Chicago.

Founded in 1857 in Burlington, Vt., by Rampton L. Story. Born with a deep, inherited appreciation of music, Hampton Story was an accomplished pianist at the age of ten. At twenty, he was a busy piano teacher, and at twenty~two he began to manufacture the pianos he knew and loved so well. Hampton Story's first instruments were built in a modest workshop overlooking Lake Champlain. There, with typical Yankee thoroughness he constructed pianos of such high quality that his name Soon spread, and within a few years buyers were coming from such distant cities as New York, Buffalo and Cleveland. A true New Englander, Story had an instinctive dislike of superficialities and shoddy methods, insisting on the best or nothing attitude. Six years after he had made his first piano, Hampton Story enlisted in the Army. After the war ended, the country was in a surging and expansive mood, and the Mid-West offered splendid Possibilities for the manufacture and marketing of pianos. Whatever the exact reason, in 1867 the firm moved to Chicago.

In 1950 the company introduced this century's most sensational development, the Storytone Mahogany Sounding Board. The Storytone sounding board replaces traditional spruce with laminated Mahogany, which cannot split or crack, minimizes the necessity for tuning due to temperature and humidity changes and enhances the quality of tone. This new feature was standard in all Story & Clark spinets, consoles, studio uprights and grand pianos.

In 1952 the Company also introduced the Style 44-C Church Piano, the only piano ever designed exclusively for churches. It is a 44" Upright, in Walnut, with a special Gothic encasement that harmonizes perfectly with the consoles of fine church organs. It has bass agraffes, pine keys, six posts and tone escapement outlets both above and below the keyboard. Most important of all, the Style 44-C Church Piano has the exclusive Storytone Mahogany Sounding Board. This provides almost complete immunity to the effects of alternate high and low temperature, humidity especially serious "piano problem" in most churches where temperatures and heating vary so widely throughout the year. The Storytone Board helps hold the piano in tune for much longer Periods enormously important in church work, where the piano is often require to be in tune with the organ.



Manufactured by the Straube Piano Company in its modern, complete factory at Hammond, Ind., 19 miles from Chicago. The Artronome Player Action which is installed only in Straube made pianos, was invented, developed and is now manufactured exclusively by the Straube Company in its own factory. The feature of this player action, which has attracted extraordinary attention, is its dependability the fact that it has reduced service calls to an absolute minimum. This dependability is the result of the many distinctive and exclusive features, both in design and construction, of the player action. Chief of these is the patented Pendulum Valve, by which troubles due to friction and corrosion in the valve mechanism are avoided. Straube Grands and Reproducing Grands are also made complete in the Straube factories. The Straube pianos are in the highest class of musical instruments, being made the finest materials with painstaking care by expert workmen. The beautiful tone quality of the Straube its evenness and purity-is due to the Straube scale which is musically and scientifically correct-the results of years of experiment and study. Straube is marketed by scores of dealers throughout the country, and its distribution is increasing with every year. It has proved a highly satisfactory product for the dealer because of the selling policy of the Straube Piano Company on the "satisfied customer" basis. Straube products are nationally advertised and are known all over the world. Because of their staunch dependability, Straube players are very favorably received in foreign countries. House in unquestioned standing.



Excellent pianos made under the direction of the Foster-Armstrong Co. division in their great factories at Fast Rochester, N. Y. The models of this instrument are appealing and are designed in conformance with the most desirable furniture of today. Various kinds of veneers are used and happily matched in a pattern and blended with a fine sense of color taste so as to be particularly pleasing to the eye. The scales of the Stratford piano are drafted with great smoothness, so that there is an entire avoidance of breaks, thus producing from the lowest bass to the highest treble note a perfectly uniform tone. The Stratford players are equipped with thoroughly reliable player actions



Strich & Zeidler pianos and player-pianos make their appeal to the limited circle of music lovers who are not influenced by great names and are willing to pay good prices for fine instruments. They are represented by many of the foremost piano houses throughout the country. Mr. William Strich, who founded the Strich & Zeidler piano many years ago, is an expert piano maker of distinction and his name is an ample guaranty of the quality of Strich & Zeidler instruments. The pianos are made in both uprights and grands.



The Strohber piano from the beginning has been an instrument of marked individuality and durable quality. It is one of the "Pianos of Character" manufactured by the Smith, Barnes & Strohber Division of the Continental Piano Co. at Milwaukee factory. The "Strohber Diminutive" was introduced in 1921 and met with instantaneous success, due to its wonderful quality. It is a practical piano of modest proportion and design, with a tone remarkable for volume and quality. It is eminently adapted for the small apartment or bungalow, as well as the schoolroom. The diminutive player marks a distinct advance in player construction.


STROUD One of the several pianos manufactured by the Aeolian Company, of New York. Stroud pianos are in every way reliable and they are instruments of unquestioned merit. The tone is fascinating and the construction durable and dependable.


STUDIO Designation applied to a style of the famous Autopiano.



A famous small grand piano only 5 feet long are known by this name. It is the instrument made by the Christman Piano Co., New York, which has won fame by reason of the distinctive character, flawless tone quality and beauty of design and construction.



Pianos, player-pianos and reproducing pianos of distinction by one of New York's responsible and most reputable industries. They are handsome instruments, of fine tone quality, and belong among the high-grade pianos in every particular. The Stultz & Bauer pianos, player-pianos and reproducing pianos are fine instruments which enjoy deserved distinction. These admirable instruments are made in grands, uprights and player-pianos and the name of Stultz & Bauer is in itself a guarantee of merit and security. The industry of Stultz & Baner is owned and controlled solely by members of the Bauer family, under whose personal supervision every instrument is built.



Good pianos manufactured by Stultz & Co., which industry is controlled by the Bjur Bros. Co., with factory at 705 Whitlock Ave., New York. Also make player-pianos bearing same name and of popular character.



Sturz Bros. pianos and piano-players are distinctly high-grade instruments. In tone, finish and construction they have the right to an enviable position.



One of the reliable popular pianos made by the great industry of the Aeolian Weber Piano & Pianola Co.



Suzuki is aware of the tremendous market potential of the growing segment of the American population that is moving toward condominium and apartment living, Suzuki has introduced the 88 Grand piano model and the88GTS the perfect combination of the traditional home piano merged with state-of-the-art electronics, a to-tally new piano for today's modern lifestyles. Developed especially for home use, the 88 Grand retains the beauty and grace of a stan-dard home piano, but because it is electronic and therefore smaller and lighter (and much less expensive), it eliminates all the problems inherent in piano ownership.

The 88 Grand is the electronic piano that doesn't look, sound, or feel electronic; it incorporates the newly developed Suzuki piano ac-tion that uses an advance, counter balanced, weighted, touch sensitive keyboard that accu-rately creates authentic piano feel. Stereo concert hall sound is projected through the two high efficiency console-mounted speakers. The instrument is styled in a modern rosewood cabinet that now includes a rosewood furniture console stand with built-in sustain and mute pedals. The educator and the student alike will appreciate features like the built-in audio and/or visual metronome, headphone jacks for private practice, and the six new voices that include piano, harpsichord, and vibraphone timbres. Best of all, the electronic 88 Grand is always in perfect tune and never requires tuning.

Full MIDI capabilities have been added in 1987 to give players the options of computer compatibility and expansion through modules such as the Suzuki MIDO or the RPM-40 percussion module that allow players an unlimited number of digital sound voices or the ability to create studio quality drum percussion tracks to enhance their music. The 88 Grand is an engi-neering masterpiece, perfect for high-tech or low-tech households, and for the piano teaching profession.


SWEETLAND The name of a very reliable and favorably known piano manufactured by the Cable-Nelson Piano Co., of Chicago; factory South Haven, Mich. The Sweeland piano is an attractive instrument of superior musical quality. See Cable-Nelson Piano Co.


SYMPHOTONE Player-pianos of fine qualities made by Autopiano Co., New York.

TopTopTopTop of pageTopTopTop