Bluebook Of Pianos

 

       

 
                      

              BRAND NAMES OF PIANOS STARTING WITH THE LETTER L

 PIANO RATINGS | ARCHIVES | APPRAISALS | CONSUMER GUIDES | BLUEBOOK VALUE  | SELL YOUR PIANO   


 

LAFFARGUE

The Laffargue Piano Company was based in New York City and existed from 1896 to 1932. The company stopped making player pianos in 1923 just two years after this Piano was manufactured. The company was finally driven out of business by the effects of stock market crash in 1929 and the Great Depression which followed. Today, second-hand piano sellers consider Laffargue Pianos to be of very good quality and they draw a good price especially when well restored. See Player Piano Brochure Circa 1912.

LAGONDA PIANO CO.

Widely known pianos and players are made and marketed by: the Jesse French & Sons Piano Co., New Castle, Ind., who are the proprietors and exclusive factors for the same. Lagonda pianos are fully warranted by the Jesse French & Sons Piano Co., which is adequate assurance of the merit of the instruments and the responsibility of their makers. The Lagonda pianos and players, both foot-power and electric, are made in a large variety of styles and sizes as well as all the fancy woods. They are handled by many of the most enterprising piano houses in this country as well as being exported to lands beyond the seas. They are attractive and thoroughly reliable instruments. The Lagonda player-piano enjoys a daily increasing demand which tells plainly of its merits and satisfaction giving qualities. The advertising phrases used in connection with these instruments tell the story: "Lagonda Pianos, Maximum Values": "Lagonda Pianos, thousands in use and the demand increasing."

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LAKESIDE

Well-made instruments manufactured by the Cable-Nelson Piano Co., of Chicago and South Haven, Mich. Lakeside pianos are produced with greatest care, according to the well-known standards of this progressive house. Their musical quality is excellent and their case designs are especially attractive. They are considered exceptional value, and are sold by many of the leading piano merchants of the country. Lakeside pianos and player-pianos enjoy a well-merited popularity and their place in the trade is securely established. The company is responsible in every way.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LANCASTER

1956 - 160000 1959 - 169000 1962 - 180000 1965 - 191000
1957 - 163100 1960 - 172000 1963 - 183000 1966 - 195000
1958 - 166000 1961 - 176000 1964 - 187000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LA PETITE by Kimball

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LAUGHEAD, GORDON, COMPANY.

Established 1942. Factory was located in Grand Haven, Michigan. Gordon Laughead Piano Co. were manufacturers of beautiful vertical pianos produced under the personal direction of the founder of the company, .Gordon Laughead. He was a leader in the piano industry for forty years, is the son of the late Edward Rankin Laughead, a practical piano builder and tuner. This fine firm has kept abreast of the demand for small 88-note vertical pianos of the highest quality. They build a complete line of Spineta Consoles and School Pianos~receiving wide acceptance. An engineering staff equal to the best, is headed by Joseph Klepac, a graduate of the Trade School for Piano Builders, Berlin, Germany. Mr. Kiepac is recognized on two continents as a respected and outstanding piano authority and acoustical engineer. Mr. Klepac's latest scalewith the much advertised "Miracle Bridge" has received great praise throughout the nation, including a fine compliment from Dean Sternberg, Baylor University, Waco Texas, America's largest Baptist University. Mr. Klepac's famed acoustic laboratory is also in Grand Haven.

Gordon Laughead Spinets, Consoles and School pianos are actually custom built. Thirteen bearings or measurements are made for each piano in fitting the bridge to the cast iron plate. Craftsmen with years of practical experience now combine their efforts to create an outstanding vertical piano of superb, high quality, acoustically perfect and attractively designed. The finest materials obtainable are furnished by the world's leading supply houses. The firm's trademark, "Gordon Laughead Piano-fortes" is cast in the plate of each instrument.

1948 - 4100 1952 - 7500 1955 - 9500 1959 - 13800
1949 - 5000 1953 - 8200 1956 - 10100 1960 - 15000
1950 - 5900 1954 - 8900 1957 - 10960 1964 - 22130

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LAUTER

The Lauter piano and the Lauter Humana player-piano's have been made for many years and lay claim to distinctive features. The Lauter Co. was established in 1862 in Newark, N.J.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LAWSON

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LEGNICA

The roots of the Legnica pianos are rich with history and go all the way back to 1849 and what was then the E. Seiler piano factory in pre-war Germany. After the war, the city where the factory was located became part of Poland and was renamed Legnica.

Today, the Legnica piano factory is a modern production facility with over 360 skilled craftsmen. Yearly production exceeds 5,000 units. Legnica pianos are sold in every country in Eu-rope. They are also widely known and sold in Australia, the Orient, Africa, and the Middle East. Legnica pianos are not mass produced. Each piano is hand made in the Old World Eu-ropean tradition. Upright models feature a "full perimeter" iron frame design. Due to this extra-wide de-sign, the frame can withstand and distribute the tension much more evenly, which helps the piano stay in tune longer.

In addition, this frame design permits cabinet design with a slimmer silhouette which is not so bulky looking as some pianos. All wood parts are season outdoors for two years, then undergo further dry-kiln season-ing. The outcome is a low moisture c(~ntent of only five percent. This meets and exceeds all North American standards. Legnica has taken the finishing of pianos a step beyond most manufacturers. The backs of all cabinet parts are also finished with the same quality polyester finishing process as are the fronts. No wood parts are left exposed to ef-fects of atmospheric conditions. All Legnica pianos feature the agraffe string-ing system. The small 4'9" models have the treble strings in agraffes, while the rest of the models have all strings in agraffes.

The actions are made of solid wood with a center rail maide of densified beech hardwood. Legnica's craftsmen prefer to build pianos with tried and true methods that have stood the test of time. Therefore, no cheap mold injected plastic action parts are ever used to sacrifice quality for the sake of speeding up production. All keys are lodividually balanced with the insertion of tiny lead weight. This provides a consistency of touch and a smooth flowing ease of playing.

Other Legnica features include Roslau strings from West Germany, Japanese hammers, fall board locks, solid brass hardware, full or half-size toe blocks, castors, three working pedals, and other quality features.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LEHR

Made by H. Lehr & Co., Easton, Pa. This concern was organized in 1890 and has had a continuous record of successfully producing fine instruments. The original owner. Horace Lehr, is still at the head and now has associated with him his two sons, Horace A. Lehr and Henry S. Lehr. A complete line of Lehr upright, player, electric player, grand and reproducing grand pianos are made. Their high musical value is recognized throughout the country as well as their reliability and beauty, of construction. Manufactured under most favorable conditions, instruments of high quality are produced at a reasonable cost. The LaFayette pianos and player-piano's are also made by H. Lebr & Co. to supply the demand for good instruments at a popular price.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LEINS

Admirable pianos and player pianos bearing this name have appeared since 1859, when the industry producing these instruments was established in New York City. The Leins piano is thoroughly well made, of choice materials It Is the product of E. Leins Piano Co., incorporated, at the head of which is Mr. E. Leins, whose name the piano bears. Fredrick B. Roth, secretary and treasurer. It may easily be realized that under such conditions the Leins piano is the embodiment of careful workmanship and an ambition to excel. The Leins pianos are not produced in vast numbers, but each one is the result of deliberation and care. Leins pianos are now sold by many dealers and the factory output increases with the spread of the demand for good pianos. It may be said that the Leins piano is the product of one of the few remaining industries controlled by actual piano makers who personally superintend the progress of their pianos from beginning to the finished product. The Leins player piano is equally reliable and has won distinction by its merits.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LENNOX

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LEONARD & CO.

Upright, player and grand pianos which bear this name arc of fine quality are manufactured by the Lester Piano Co., of Philadelphia. They are instruments of beautiful tone quality and superior workmanship. The material and construction are unexceptional and the Leonard stands high in the judgments of critical trade. Leonard pianos and players are increasing in popularity as they become widely known, and they are commended with the utmost assurance of satisfaction, and are sold by the best class of piano merchants throughout the country. Until recently the Leonard & Company line consisted of uprights and player-pianos only, which have become so popular with the trade because of their sterling quality and reasonable price that the company decided in 1925 to make the Leonard line complete by the addition of the Leonard & Company grand. This marvelous grand, while only 4 feet 11 inches long, possesses the tone and other desirable features found heretofore only in the larger grands.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LESAGE

LESAGE Canadian Affiltate - Aeolian

1960 - 36000 1967 - 47000 1975 - 56500 1982 - 65800
1961 - 37050 1968 - 48000 1976 - 58000 1983 - 66300
1962 - 38600 1969 - 49500 1977 - 60000 1984 - 66750
1963 - 40300 1970 - 50500 1978 - 61200 1985 - 67300
1964 - 42000 1971 - 51500 1979 - 62700 1986 - 67730
1965 - 44000 1972 - 53000 1980 - 64000 1987 - 67905
1966 - 45500 1974 - 54500 1981 - 65500 1988 - 70000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LESSING

Reliable pianos of pleasing tone quality, attractive de signs and finish, and most durable construction. Made, marketed and guaranteed by Smith, Barnes & Strohber Co. Chicago. In creating the Lessing the manufacturers had in mind the great and growing demand for pianos of the utmost durability, to be sold at very high prices, and still to insure lasting value and satisfaction. Lessing player pianos are no less attractive. It need not be said that the Smith, Barnes & Strohber Co. Is an industry of unquestioned merit and ethics. The Lessing piano was the single most sought after instruments in areas of the country where bad weather was a factor. The Lessing was popular in Canada and Alaska. There is more Lessing upright pianos in use than any other manufacturer. Large factories in Chicago and North Milwaukee. One of the very few uprights worthy of restoration due to the excellence in materials and workmanship.

1900 - 23090 1913 - 56000 1917 - 109500 1924 - 171000
1910 - 39000 1915 - 90000 1918 - 118000 1925 - 180000
1911 - 47000 1916 - 99500 1919 - 127000 1927 - 196000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LESTER PIANO COMPANY

Lester pianos won a high place in the world of music because of their sweetness of tone and the care expended in their construction. Adherence, on the part of the Lester Piano Co., to the principle of creating quality instruments, rather than to build vast numbers of pianos, has been the basis of Lester reputation. No detail in Lester construction, by which the tone and durability might he perfected, was permitted to pass. As a result, many famous pianists placed their approval upon Lester pianos. Among them a are such names as the famed director; Louise Homer. American artists; Campanari, eminent baritone; Alice Nielson, operatic soprano; Kneisel, violinist and concert meister; Bell Alten, soprano of Metropolitan opera, and scores of others; also many great music schools, as the New England Conservatory, of Boston; Syracuse University; Broad Street Conservatory, Philadelphia; Converse College, Spartansburg, S. C.; Lewisburg Female Institute, Lewisburg, W. Va.; East Carolina Teachers' Training School, Greenville, N. C., and many others. Lester pianos are used in nearly 100,000 homes, and in most of the public schools of Philadelphia. What could speak more plainly of piano merit? The Lester player-piano is no less prominent; its action is also the product of Lester Piano Co. factories, and it has many special features of recognized superiority. The latest addition to the Lester line is the Reproducing piano, operated electrically, in both upright and grand cases. The performances of the world's greatest pianists are accurately reproduced, among others the hand playing of Paderewski, Pugno, Josef Hofmann, Leopold Godowsky, Busoni, DePachmann, Gabrilowitsch. DeBussy and a host of other celebrities.

The Lester Piano Manufacturing Company also produces the well known Betsy Ross Spinets, which have met with outstanding success. This is a complete line pianos including spinets and consoles, 37 and 40 inch models in a wide variety of traditional and modern styles to suit every demand. Lester also makes a 44 inch studio upright piano designed especially for school use with extra long strings for exceptional quality of tone and volume. In addition, the Lester Piano Manufacturing Company produces a 73 note spinet piano for those who want a piano smaller than the Betsy Ross Spinet. Most styles of Lester Betsy Ross Spinets and Console Pianos are equipped with the exclusive Damp-Chaser to insure regulated moisture control at all times. The Lester is the only piano equipped with this amazing Damp-Chaser that protects the piano from dampness in all climates, reduces the number of tunings, keeps the piano in perfect playing condition and prolongs the life of the instrument.

In 1951, the Lester Piano Mfg. Co. added a Custom Series line to the popular Betsy Ross Spinets. This new series included distinctive models in unusual finishes; or any style could be finished to actual order. This Custom Series of Betsy Ross Spinets was met with wide public acceptance and was promoted by Lester national advertising and by dealer advertising.

The Lester "one name . . one quality . . one price" policy was met with the universal approval of dealers and consumers. This policy meant that all Lester Pianos were always of the same musical quality, any difference in price was based on the case. There were no ghost or stencil pianos made by this company It means too that everyone receives equal value since there was only one price for a Lester Piano and that was the factory advertised price. This practice was called a "Fair Trade" policy but was outlawed as price fixing at a later date.

Shortly after World War II, Lester introduced a line of spinets using a new "Plastic" in their actions, plastics were very new in 1947,plastic was new annd not intended to be used in piano actions, after a few years these actions began to fall apart. The Lester Company issued what was to become the first major recall of a major purchase. All of the plastic elbows in the actions were replaced on those pianos that were found to be defective. These pianos turn up from time to time, the parts are still available to correct this problem through most piano repair shops.

LESTER (Betsy Ross)

1948 - 175000 1951 - 209000 1954 - 241000 1958 - 299700
1949 - 181000 1952 - 220000 1956 - 272000 1959 - 308800
1950 - 193000 1953 - 231000 1957 - 280000 1960 - 324400

 

LEXINGTON

Pianos of beautiful design and hand crafted scrolling. See Jacob Doll & Sons. .

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LINDEMAN & SONS

Established in 1836 by William Lindeman. An endeavor to give the highest possible value in materials and workmanship at a moderate price was the keystone of an outstanding success.

Lindeman made not only in the small grands but in the highly popular spinets in which the beautiful Lindeman tone has been brought into the confines of these smaller cases. Lindeman was a product of the Aeolian American Corp.

The Lindeman & Sons is the second oldest piano factory in America, Lindeman & Sons pianos have been manufactured since 1886, and have been famous for high quality and reasonable prices. The line includes uprights, grands and players, The Celco Reproducing Medium is included in Lindeman & Sons' pianos.  

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LINDNER

Manufactured for many years by M. Lindner, Buffalo, N. Y. They are instruments of good tone quality and durable construction, Mr. Lindner is a piano builder of note and he is ably assisted by Mr. C. F.Linder, also an expert piano specialist.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LINK

Player pianos, coin operated, reproducing pipe organs and pianos, with selective rolls for theaters, etc. is manufactured by the Link Piano Co., Inc.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LOCKHART

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LOVE, MALCOM

1956 - 160000 1959 - 169000 1962 - 180000 1965 - 191000
1957 - 163100 1960 - 172000 1963 - 183000 1966 - 191800
1958 - 166000 1961 - 176000 1964 - 187000 1967 - 191950

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

LOWREY

In late 1977 Lowrey unveiled a completely new line of elegant console pianos. These instruments were entirely new pianos that were designed to complement and maintain the standard of quality and craftsmanship the Lowrey name has come to mean. All Lowrey pianos are 42 inches in height. There are no spinets in the Lowrey line, primarily because a console is the best piano for the average family. In addition, the company recently introduced a 5'6" grand piano. With refinements like a grand piano top, lead weighted keys, brass accents and Swedish steel strings, these pianos are truly distinctive instruments. Authentic furniture styling and a unique piano scale that carries the Charks Frederick Stein trademark are yet other attributes which set the Lowrey line apart from other pianos.

LOWREY

1963 - 349000 1967 - 449000 1971 - 463000 1975 - 519000
1964 - 364000 1968 - 421000 1972 - 477000 1976 - 533000
1965 - 379000 1969 - 435000 1973 - 491000 1977 - 528325
1966 - 393000 1970 - 449000 1974 - 505000 1978 - 541325

LUDWIG

Ludwig grand pianos, uprights and player-pianos and reproducing pianos are noted for handsome case designs and full resonant and sympathetic quality of tone, and this, together with the high quality of the action, has established their superiority and popularity. They are fine instruments in which there is distinctive character and high order of attainment. The famous Ludwig instruments are manufactured by Ludwig & Co. a company of practical piano makers, and the foremen of the factories have been given an interest in the business in order that they should have an additional and personal incentive to attain the highest efficiency in their respective departments. This company is of high standing and responsibility

The plant being one of the finest and best equipped in the world. Ludwig & Co. Is the originator of the Unit Valve Player Action with which the Ludwig player-piano is equipped. The unit system, which permits each valve to be removed separately, appeal not only to the executive, but to the maintenance man. It reduces the upkeep expense to a minimum, because its mechanism, in perfect playing condition, is simple and easy. All parts of the players' action are easily accessible from the front without removing the action. The Ludwig player-piano is easily operated and its accurate and sensitive action leaves an effect like that of the human fingers and thereby affords correct musical expression. The construction of this player, combining simplicity, strength and durability, insures lasting service. The players' action, while a part of the piano, in no way interferes with hand playing. The Ludwig Piano was signally honored with a high award at the Paris Exposition of 1900 and it was given the highest award given to Ludwig pianos at the Pan American Exposition. Buffalo, N. Y., 1901, also the London Crystal Palace Exposition, London, England in 1902. A number of prominent artists and musicians have endorsed the Ludwig piano in terms of the highest praise.

LYON & HEALY

Manufacturers of harps and harp accessories. Since 1889 this firm has made a wide variety of quality products which have earned international recognition and fame. The Lyon & Healy piano is the product of the old established general music house of the same name, of Chicago. Its manufacturers refuse to build in greater numbers than is consistent with the utmost care. The case designs are after sketches by well-known architects and are acknowledged models in their way. The "Apartment Grand" is an instrument of unique character and is recognized as a fine specimen of artistic piano manufacture. It presents some special features and in tone quality it is remarkable not only because of its power and clarity, but in that, while small in dimensions, it is in every essential feature a real grand. This instrument is also made in the popular art period designs. The new Lyon & Healy Concert Grand has already won commendation for its purity and sonority of tone. This instrument is full concert size. The Lyon & Healy Reproducing Piano is made both in grand and upright models. The instruments are attractive in designs, of admirable tone quality, and they have made a decided impression on the trade and music loving public. They are perfectly reliable in every particular. The manufacturers are experts and their experience has taught them what the piano buying people prefer.