Bluebook Of Pianos

 

       

 
                      

              BRAND NAMES OF PIANOS STARTING WITH THE LETTER K

 PIANO RATINGS | ARCHIVES | APPRAISALS | CONSUMER GUIDES | BLUEBOOK VALUE  | SELL YOUR PIANO   


 

KAISER

A small factory established in 1891 and is making a few very good instruments for the retail trade of their makers. Office, 3301 Beach St., Chicago.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KAMAN

See Currier Piano Company

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KAWAI

The forerunner of today's full line of Kawai grand and console pianos was manufactured in Japan in 1899.

Kawai was founded in 1927 by Koichi Kawai (1886-1955).  As a child, he lived next door to Torakusu Yamaha (who had studied watch making under a British engineer) and at the age of 12 helped him build Japan’s first pianos. He worked with Yamaha until the latter’s death in 1927. Kawai then founded the Kawai Musical Instrument Research Laboratory in Hamamatsu. Within a year, Koichi Kawai became the first to design and build a piano action in Japan and just one year later he had built his first grand piano.

Kawai pianos are characterized by their extraordinary consistency of quality. Their pianos costing only a third to a half of the equivalent Steinway – and have achieved a more than respectable presence on the concert platform. A highly honorable company. Kawai still offers an absolute guaranty in the form of a Full Warranty on all of their pianos.  The only major piano manufacturer in the world to do so, and they honor their warranty as no other company can.

Kawai stands out as being not only consistent in quality but also innovative in its use of synthetic materials. Kawai offers better service and warranties in the U.S. Both Kawai and Yamaha are typically Japanese in making large investments in research and development of piano technologies and in their commercial approach to penetrating overseas markets – starting with design and market analysis to produce saleable products.

Today, Kawal pianos, made by Kawal Musical Instruments, Hamamatsu, Japan, are distributed throughout the U.S. by Kawal America Corporation, a wholly-owned factory subsidiary.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KELLER & SONS

Pianos and player-pianos of admirable character which were founded in l902 by the late Henry Keller. In the summer of 1916 the industry was purchased by Wilfred Piano Co. and the already excellent quality of the pianos and player-pianos have been fully sustained.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KELLMER PIANO CO

Conservative concern in good standing making small numbers of pianos for retail trade, exclusively, at Hazleton, Pa. established in 1883.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KELSO & CO.

Commercial pianos and player pianos made at No. 18 Horatio St., New York.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KENMORE

A medium grade piano manufactured by the P. A. Starck Piano Co. of Chicago. Good piano at a reasonable price, and the product of an industry so responsible that its purchaser is absolutely secure.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KIMBALL

Established 1857. An old and distinguished house of international standing and reputation. Since its inception, the firm has been under the continuous ownership and control of the Kimball family. One of the world's quality manufacturers of pianos, grand pianos, consoles, consolettes, spinets and studio models. The unlimited enterprise and commercial strength of the W. W. Kimball Co., Chicago, manufacturers of the "Kimball" piano have pushed forward the fame and triumphs of the instrument. The "Kimball" has received endorsements from both the public and the professional, on the artistic elements of the piano world and that to an extent that has been rarely equaled. The Kimball received the highest awards Yukon-Pacific Exposition, Seattle, 1902, and the Panama-Pacific Exposition, San Francisco, l910 and 1912. The Kimball is made under conditions which, to an almost absolute degree assure perfect adaptation and fitting together of its parts. The plant in which it is manufactured is one of the finest and best equipped in the world there being few which approach it in magnitude of production or in the perfection of its adaptation to the purpose for which it is designed. The manufacturers of the "Kimball" are men of long experience in the musical instrument industry. The Kimball concert grand has been used by and is the preference of and has been endorsed by a large number of artists many of whom while using it has scored their greatest public triumphs as concert soloists.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KIMBALL, W. W.

Established 1857. An old and distinguished house of international standing and reputation. Since its inception, the firm has been under the continuous ownership and control of the Kimball family. One of the world's quality manufacturers of pianos, grand pianos, consoles, consolettes, spinets and studio models.

The Kimball plant, occupies approximately 200,000 square feet of floor space. The building is equipped with modern machinery and appliances for an ideal mixture of fine craftsmanship and modern methods. In the manufacture of these instruments the best and most reliable materials are used and an exceptionally high class of labor is employed. Completion of the plant in May, 1956, revealed completely new dry kiln and lumber handling equipment, extensive conveyor systems, and the air-conditioned office facilities. The program included acquisition of the newest modern machinery, including many special machines developed by Kimball engineers and employees.

The Kimball line of grands includes several sizes Vertical type pianos included a special school and studio model. Artist Console, Consolete, and Spinet models were available in a wide range of modern and period designs. The Kimball Consolette has four exclusive Tone-Touch features: The Kimball Pipe-Organ Tone Chamber, produced through the combined skill of the Company's pipe organ and piano technicians; the Kimball Unilocked Scale; the Kimball patented Direct Blow Action; and the new Kimball Life-crowned Toneboard, which will not split or crack open and permanently holds the crown developed through years of research and experiment. The Kimball technical staff draws all scales, designs' actions and cases and various other parts; thus insuring the precision and uniforra quality that are so important to the performance of a fine piano. The company even operates a completely equipped machine shop where have been built many ingenious special machines found only in this plant.

The Kimball instruments have won recognition at many of the world's expositions, among these the Chicago Columbian Exposition, 1893, gave the Kimball Co. "an award of superlative merit" for having attained the highest standard of excellence in its particular manufacture. The international Jury of Awards of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition at Seattle, 1909, conferred the highest award upon Kimball grands and uprights and pipe organs, stating, "Their upright and grand pianos typify the highest perfection in tone, scale, action and design, in American piano making." At the Trans-Mississippi Exposition at Omaha, Nebr., in 1898, Kimball pianos received the diploma and only gold medal awarded any piano. Highest awards from the Panama-Pacific Exposition at San Francisco were announced in the summer of 1916, Grand piano medal. Hundreds of world famous musicians and singers have used Kimball pianos, 100th in public and for their private use, and have given them unqualified endorsements. The Kimball is heard on the concert stage today as it has been continuously for over half a century. Several thousand churches, schools, colleges and public institutions have purchased Kimball pianos. Among the colleges, universities and conservatories which have purchased Kimball pianos: Cosmopolitan School of Music, American Conservatory of Music, Chicago, Barry College, Miami, Fla., Birmingham Conservatory of Music, Ward Belmont College, Detroit Conservatory of Music, U. S. Military Academy (West Point), Stephens College, Christian College, Oregon State College, Universities of Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio, Delaware, Southern California, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Montana, Oregon, Texas, Washington. Public schools in Chicago, Illinois; Seattle, Washington; Cleveland, Ohio; Providence, R. I.; St. Paul, Minnesota; Kansas City, Missouri; Washington, D. C.; Los Angeles, California; West Palm Beach, Florida; Wilmington, Delaware; Youngstown, Ohio; Dallas, Texas; and over a thousand other schools. Several thousand Kimball pianos are used in churches and in associated schools. A large number of radio stations, hotels and other public institutions have also purchased and are using Kimball pianos.

Kimball was the first to perfect a laminated spruce sounding board ... one of the most important piano improvements in generations . . . as described above; first to develop electronic gluing, which permits using waterproof glues in piano case construction; first to pioneer lacquer to supplant varnish, producing a perfect finish, a better product . . . for less money; first to perfect a keybed leveling device which eliminates wedges and shims, produces a perfect key level; first to pioneer the type of white and black keys now used by the entire industry; first to make a piano in genuine fruitwood; first to design authentic French Provincial and Early American pianos; first to develop a grand scale for a 5' size grand piano.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KINDLER & COLLINS

Pianos made by practical piano men in their factory. The pianos are reliable, musical and desirable. Player-pianos are equally attractive and a small grand has also been added to the Kindler & Collins line of popular instruments. The Kindler & Collins instruments are made in various case designs and always with a view to symmetry and beauty. They are sold by many of the foremost piano houses throughout the country and steadily gain in favor wherever introduced. A name of recognized standing, on the piano is the best possible assurance of character and reliability.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KINGSBURG

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KINGSBURY

The popular instruments bearing this name are the product of The Cable Co., of Chicago, one of the largest, as well as most progressive piano manufacturing industries of the world. The "Kingsbury" is an attractive instrument, backed by a house of great resources and of highest responsibility. The "Kingsbury" pianos possess unusual attractiveness in case design and finish, besides having excellent musical qualities. They are of the characteristically popular kind, in which general style and the grace of design are wedded to those even more important considerations of musical tone and durability of construction. There are many reasons why the New Scale Kingsbury piano is an unusual value. In the first place, the makers are piano men of long standing; in the second place, their large capital and resources, more than nine million dollars, means big buying power: means getting the best materials the market affords at the right price; and it has also meant the equipping of their two great factories with every facility for turning out the best work in the best way. Finally, the makers of the Kingsbury piano insist upon building all parts of their pianos, even to the actions, sounding boards and keyboards, in their own plant, where they supervise not only the workmanship, but the inspection of all raw materials. The guarantee of the manufacturers is backed by unquestioned financial responsibility.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KINGSTON

Pianos and player-pianos bearing this name are made by The Rudolph Wurlitizer Co. The Kingston was a handsome and in every way a desirable instrument.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KIRSCHNER

This is the name of one of the popular pianos and players from the industry of the Henry B. Johnson Piano Co., of Belleville, Iowa. Kirschner pianos are made in attractive case designs and of durable construction and pleasing tone quality. They are intended for the popular trade, and in that they have won recognition and a wide sale. The factories at Bellevue. Iowa, are extensive and perfectly equipped for speedy and accurate production.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KNABE WM. & CO.

The distinguished and time-honored instruments which bear this celebrated name are manufactured by Wm. Knabe & Co., Inc., one of America's oldest industries. Knabe pianos have an artistic record dating back to the year 183, when the instrument was founded by the late Wm. Knabe, in Baltimore, Md. Mr. Knabe had been working in different factories before he established his own instrument, having arrived in this country in 1832. His earlier knowledge had been acquired in the famous factories of Germany. Re was a man of great mechanical ability and possessed of ideals which mark the man of genius. These ideals have been sustained and imbedded in the Knabe piano to this day through all of more than eighty two years since the first instrument bearing the name appeared in Baltimore. In the succession of practical workers in the factories of Wm. Knabe & Co. has been generations of experts, descendants of the original workmen and members of the Knabe family. These skilled men gained their training in the Knabe factory and it is not long since a census of the Knabe employees proved the interesting fact that more than one third of the men have been employed by Wm. Knabe & Co. for from fifteen to more than fifty years, an average for the entire force of eighteen and a half years. When Wm. Knabe died in 1864 his two sons, Ernst and Wm. Knabe, Jr., and his son-in-law, Chas. Seidel, came into practical control of the rapidly expanding industry. Branch houses were opened in several cities, including New York and Washington. At the death of Ernst Knabe, who had become one of the most popular and able piano manufacturers the industry has ever known and later of his brother, Wm. Knabe, Jr., the direction of the business fell to Chas. Keidel. Subsequently the house was incorporated with a capital of $l00, 000. and in 1908 it became a division of the American Piano Co. Today the house of Wm. Knabe & Sons is stronger more ambitious and progressive than ever before in its long history. It produces grand and upright pianos and player pianos. Both in manufacturing ability and commercial integrity the house stands unquestioned. The factories in Baltimore are among the biggest and best equipped in the world and the plant, including lumber yards, covers more than six acres and embraces 392,000 feet of floor space. The distinction of the Knabe pianos is worldwide. They combine a rare degree power and sweetness of tone, delicacy and a poetic singing character and a beauty of case design and finish not surpassed. Many of the world's great artists have used the Knabe pianos in their public concerts, and Knabe grands have taken part in the concert tours of a large proportion of the famed virtuoso. They have also been used in the concert halls throughout the United States and the public schools of New York City for many years. They are sold all over the United States by prominent piano houses as well as in foreign countries, there being many agencies throughout Europe and elsewhere.

On January 1, 1912 Chas. Seidel Jr., the son of Chas. Seidel and grandson of Wm. Knabe 1. was elected to office of president of Wm. Knabe & Co. On Mr. Keidel Jr.'s, death in April 1913, Mr. Wm. B. Armstrong, a man of long experience and tried ability in connection with the piano industry, in its various departments was made president. Mr. R.K. Paynter who had long been manager of the Washington and New York branches of the house, was elected vice-president and general manager. In March 1922, Mr. Paynter was advanced to the presidency of this distinguished and time-honored institution. Mr. Paynter had been connected with the house since 1899. Factories, Baltimore, Md. The Knabe is obtainable with the Ampico.

AS A division of Acolian American Corporation. Among the few really celebrated and artistic pianofortes in the United States, the time-honored Knabe ranks pre-eminent, being distinguished for a distinctive tone quality that has often been described as the nearest approach to the human singing voice. During its celebrated career 115 years, it has always been identified with the high est standards of manufacture, as well as by its close association with the artistic world. It has had a notable share in the development of musical intelligence and culture in the United States .

The Knabe dates back to 1837 when William Knabe founded the business in the city of Baltimore, where he had been working in various factories since his arrival in this country in 1832. He had previously acquired a broad practical knowledge of piano craftsmanship in all its branches. A man of mechanical ability that classed him as a genius, with the steadfast ambition to produce only the best, he enlisted an organization of experts, deeply imbued with those high ideals which have been handed down to the present day. The craftsmanship that makes the Knabe a leader among all pianos is not an acquisition of one generation but a pedigree of skill

that has continued from that idealistic beginning. Knabe pianos have always been distinctive for touch, durability and endurance, and their glorious tone combines power, sweetness, delicacy and a poetic singing quality. The pages of its history are rich with great names of composers, singers and pianists of highest renown whose musical triumphs have been shared by Knabe. It enjoyed a pleasant and intimate relation with such great figures in the world of music as: Puccini, Tschaikovsky, von Bulow, Lehar, Nordica, Calve, and Humperdinck

Since 1926 it has been the official piano of the Metropolitan Opera Company, used publicly and privately and always at the Opera House by the great artists of that celebrated organization. Among present artists who have added their personal testimonials of admiration to the endorsement of the Opera Company are: Licia Albanese, Mildred Allen, Lorenzo Alvary, Lucine Amara, Salvatore Baccaloni, Daniele Barioni, Kurt Baum, Rudolf Bing, Jussi Bjoerling, Giuseppe Campora, George Cehanovsky, Fausto Cleva, Nadine Conner, Lisa Della Casa, Mario Del Monaco, Victoria de Los Angeles, Giuseppe Di Stefano, Mattiwilda Dobbs, Otto Edelmann, Rosalind Elias, Dezso Ernster, Paul Franke. Frank Guarrera, Hilde Gueden, Mack Harrell, Osie Hawkins, Jerome Hines, Laurel Hurley, Charles Kuilman, Jean Madeira, Robert Merrill, Josef Metternich, Zinka Milanov, Mildred Miller, Nicola Moscona, Patrice Munsel, Gerhard Pechner, Roberta Peters, Marcella Pobbe, Nell Rankin, Regina Resnik, Margaret Roggero,Norman Scott, Mario Sereni, Cesare Siepi, Martial Singher, Dr. Fritz Stiedry, Rise Stevens, Renata Tebaldi, Cesare Vailetti and Ramon Vinay.

The Knabe has long been the chosen instrument of important conservatories of music and other institutions of higher learning where musical instruction has a prominent place in the curriculum. In these institutions great durability as well as exquisite tone is demanded, for the pianos in the teaching and practice rooms are used without interruption for several hours each day. Especially notable in this list is the Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester, which has purchased nearly 200 Knabes; the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, in which were installed 115 Knabe grands; the Arthur Jordan Conservatory of Music in Indianapolis; Phoenix College, Phoenix, Ariz.; San Jose State College, San Jose, Calif.; State Teachers College, Emporia, Kansas.; University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.; University of Wichita, Wichita, Kansas.; State School for the Blind, Baton Rouge, La.; Southern University, Baton Rouge, La.; Louisiana Polytechnic institute, Ruston, La.; Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y.; Houghton College, Houghton, N. Y.; Cornell University, Ithaca, N. Y.; Public Schools, New York, N. Y.; New York State University, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N. Y.; State Teachers Colleges,i California, Kutztown and West Chester, Pa.; Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa.; Austin Peay State College, Clarksville, Tenn.; Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas; Texas Technological College, Lubbock, Texas; Baylor University, Waco, Texas; Virginia State College, Petersburg, Va. and St. Norbert's College, DePere, Wisc.

Exquisite styling and beauty of detal give Knabe encasements authentic decorative appeal to companion their remarkable tone so that they have been chosen by interior decorators and home lovers for the drawing rooms and apartments of hundreds of style-conscjous private owners; as well as by the most prominent music teachers, clubs, churches and other semi-private institutions throughout the country. Knabes are sold all over the United States by leading dealers who have been chosen for their long established reputation for responsibi]ity and ethical standards.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KNIGHT

Alfred Knight, Ltd., of England makes the unusual claim of being the youngest large-scale manufacturer of pianos. The founder, Alfred Knight, came from a family long associated with the building of fine pianos; and he was apprenticed at an early age. Mter completing his apprenticeship and formative training his Interest turned to pianoforte design and in 1935 he realized his ambition of founding a new plant with up-to-date machinery. North London was chosen as a location where skilled workers were available and a nucleus of experienced men' welcomed the idea of joining a new company witn progressive ideas and scope for advancement under practical directorship. In laying down designs for the new range of pianos.

Alfred Knight's progressive ideas were tempered by those of Ms key workers whose combined experience totalled well over a thousand years, and by constant contact with his many friends among concert and orchestra pianists. Although Alfred Knight died in September, 1974, the business remains a family one. His daughter, Sylvia, has taken over as managing director and her husband, John York, is also a director. They and all their staff are determined to carry on the quality of workmanship in the Knight tradition. Aldress: Langston Road, Debden Estate, Loughton, Essex, England.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHARLES KOHLER

Founded in 1896 as a partnership between Charles Kohler and J. C. Campbell, in less than 20 years Kohler and Campbell became the world's leading manufacturer of upright and grand pianos, player pianos and automatic reproducing actions. The first factory was in a small loft building on 14th Street in New York City but after the company was established only a few years the business expanded to such a degree that it moved to much larger quarters, occupying an entire building built for it at 50th Street and Eleventh Avenue and continued to expand into adjoining and nearby buildings until it occupied over one million feet of floor space. Under the direction of Charles Kohler, who became the entire owner upon Mr. Campbell's death in 1904, Kohler & Campbell popularized the player piano in America, manufacturing player actions for other piano makers in its subsidiaries and making available to the public for the first time the music of the world's leading artists through the Welte-Mignon reproducing action. Charles Kotiler pianos are made by Kohler & Campbell, Inc., of 601-615 West 50th St., New York. This organization has one of the largest outputs of pianos and player-pianos in the world. These Charles Kohler pianos, player-pianos, electric expression pianos, reproducing pianos and grands, are the products de luxe of the instruments manufactured by this institution. They represent the best skill and knowledge of the late Mr. Charles Kohler, who was recognized as one of the instruments is notable for tonal purity and tonal volume, handsome and artistic case designs, beautiful finish and easy, responsive actions. They are highly esteemed in every detail, being the exponents of splendid craftsmanship, skill and infinite care in production.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KOHLER & CAMPBELL

Founded in 1896 as a partnership between Charles Kohler and J. C. Campbell, in less than 20 years Kohler and Campbell became the world's leading manufacturer of upright and grand pianos, player pianos and automatic reproducing actions. The first factory was in a small loft building on 14th Street in New York City but after the company was established only a few years the business expanded to such a degree that it moved to much larger quarters, occupying an entire building built for it at 50th Street and Eleventh Avenue and continued to expand into adjoining and nearby buildings until it occupied over one million feet of floor space. Under the direction of Charles Kohler, who became the entire owner upon Mr. Campbell's death in 1904, Kohler & Campbell popularized the player piano in America, manufacturing player actions for other piano makers in its subsidiaries and making available to the public for the first time the music of the world's leading artists through the Welte-Mignon reproducing action.

The position of Kohler & Campbell in the piano industry is well illustrated by the distinguished piano companies either founded or acquired by it during its 65 years of operation. Among those companies are Hazelton Brothers, Francis Bacon Piano Company, Behning Piano Company, Milton Piano Company, Behr Brothers, Brambach Piano Company, Davenport and Treacy Company, Kroeger Piano Company, McPhail, Stultz and Bauer, Astor Piano Company, Newton Piano Company, Waldorf Piano Company and Ejur Brothers. Nearly every major piano manufacturer purchased player actions from the Auto Pneumatic Actior Company and The Standard Pneumatic Action Company, manufacturing subsidiaries of Kohler & Campbell during the days of the player piano. Their combined production exceeded 50,000 player actions per year.

Although through the acquisition of the Francis Bacon Piano Company, Kohler & Campbell traces its heritage back to 1789, the date of the founding of the first piano company in America by John Jacob Astor, progressive leadership and modern production techniques have always been outstanding attributes of the company. Julius A. White, originally joined the company in 1921 and became president in 1930. Under his direction, the former loosely-knit organization was consolidated administratively and the manufacturing facilities were all brought under one roof. Following World War II, he move the factories from their 50th Street location to the Bronx and a larger, more modern building. Again in 1954, seeing that the manufacture of durable goods in a multi-story urban plant was no longer economically practical, he engineered the move of the entire manufacturing facility from New York to Granite Falls, North Carolina. The site was carefully picked for its skilled woodworkers and it proximity to the heart of the Appalachian hardwood lumber producing area.

In 1956, the presidency of the company passed on to a third generation when Charles Kohler White, grandson of the founder, assumed the position. Charles Kohler White met his accidental death in 1957 after which Charles L. Clayton was elected president. The other officers were: Rita Kohler White, daughter of the founder, secretary, Robert H. Meuser, treasurer and Gaylord M. Huffstader, sales manager. The company was represented by W. 0. Patrick Care; Paul Corbett, Louis J. Nienaber,Bert C Bruce, Sr., Hyrum B. Summerhays, and E. G. Burghardt .Kobler & Campbell offered a complete line of spinet and console pianos. The spinet was offered in five models and ten wood and finish combinations. The console was available in six different models and eight different finishes. The 45" Studio designed principally for use in studios, auditoriums or school rooms and it is of extra-rugged construction in three finishes.

Kohler & Campbell was one of the largest piano companies in America at one time, producing as many as sixty different names at a time, many of which were stencils (private labels) during and after the great depression. Kohler & Campbell purchased many piano factories throughout the United States. Kohler & Campbell pianos were well built and make excellent entry level pianos in good condition. Many of their pianos were handcrafted in many respects. In later years as a result of being manufactured in the heartland of the American furniture industry where raw material's availability and craftsmanship were passed on from generation to generation.

See also: Astor, Brambach, Davenport, Milton, Behning, J.C. Campbell, Hazleton, Stratford, Behr Brothers, Celeste, Charles Kohler, Tom Thumb, Francis Bacon, Francis , Classic, Kroger, and Waldorf.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KOTH-BAYER

On January1, 1915, Mr. Frederick Koth, an experienced piano maker entered into partnership with Mr.Harry Bayer, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. In 1923 Mr. Koth retired from the firm.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KRAKAUER

Manufacturers of Krakauer Bros. grand, upright, console and spinet pianos. In the course of their long and successful career Krakauer Bros. have been a family concern and never allied with combinations outside the organization. This house was founded in 1869 by Simon Krakauer, an excellent musician, who came to America in 1853 with his son David.

The manufacture of Krakauer pianos is entirely confined to one high grade quality-the Krakauer piano-which is available in a wide variety of attractive designs in Grand and Vertical models. For many years the Krakauer is noted for exceptionally artistic and uniquely attractive case designs, durable constru~tion, and an exceptionally rich tonal quality. They have successfully pioneered the patented closed back construction which permits the piano to be placed anywhere in the room like a grand piano and without the necessity of placing it with its back to the wall. One of the most successful models in this design is the Krakauer "Serenade" which because it can be faced out in a room like a grand piano has a "grand like" free flowing quality of tone. Most of their spinet pianos also contain the exclusive Acoustic Tone Chambers which strikingly re-enforce and enhance the tone.

The Krakauer line is definitely a "Decorator" line of styling. Every model is authentic in its derivation and is not just a conglomeration of senseless frills. All this is based upon the close attention of the "one family" element in the organization, with an honest and intimate interest in every piano made. Krakauer Bros have no mass-production. A unique, exclusive feature of all Krakauer pianos is the new Bridge Braced Back construction, claimed by Krakauer engineers to be the strongest and most durable in the world. Krakauer Bros. have supplied their pianos to a large number of great musicians of today and the past who have, without solicitation, given eloquent testimony and endorsement to the worth and quality of the Krakauer piano. There are over 1,000 Krakauer pianos in the Public Schools of New York City alone. The factory was a modern, light five story corner building located at 115 East 138th Street, New York City.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KRANICH & BACH

One of the oldest, most noted and prominent firms in the piano industry, which, for nearly a century has enjoyed the highest reputation. This business was established in 1864 by Helmuth Kranich and Jacques Bach, both practical piano makers of tried experience. The firm soon became known as makers of distinction, and almost from the start Their instruments have been regarded as among the most reliable made. In 1873 Messrs Kraaich & Bach moved its factories and warerooms to East Twenty-third Street, New York. In 1890 the business was incorporated. This company prides itself upon the fact that it possesses what is considered one of the most complete and up-to-date piano manufacturing plants in the country, equipped with the finest machinery and most modern appliances. They belong to the very small group of famous makers whose pianos are among the highest class made in the world.

They are noted for durability, and for a tone which is distinguished for its purity. singing quality, brilliancy and carrying power. Obtained awards at the Mechanics' Fair, Boston; Philadelphia Centennial in 1876, and Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Represented all over the country by dealers of prominence, most of whom feature it as their leader. Among the famous products of these renowned makers is a magnificent concert grand which made its debut in the trade in the spring of 1916.

The four foot six inch Grandette was introduced to the trade and the public in 1934, and is among the smallest artistic grands on the market. This instrument is not an abbreviated grand in the sense that it represents a larger scale cut dawn, but is a grand built with an entirely new scale especially drawn for this instrument, which embodies all the sterling features of Kranich & Bach construction. and differs only in dimensions from the larger grands of the same make. The close of 1935 saw the tests and experimental work on a small upright, incorporating the Violyn piano plate (another notable patent of this house), satisfactorily completed. This commendable addition to an established and complete line of quality pianos is encased in a newly designed model of the vertical type, and trade marked "Grandette" Console. The scale, layout, materials and craftsmanship used in the manufacture of this new "Grandette" Console are identical with those employed only in Kranich & Bach pianos, resulting in a characteristic Kranich & Bach piano. During the year 1937 they manufactured and put on the market a still smaller size-3 ft. 3 in. Console, which also has an original Kranich & Bach scale, developed in their own factory. It was made in several styles and considered one of the most beautiful Console cases being shown. The house perhaps more than ever before in its history, convincingly displayed all of the determination to be fully alert and mindful of modern business methods and requirements yet conservative in its adherence to its traditions and ideals laid down by the founders.

Among the special improvements claimed for the Kranich & Bach piano are the Violin plate (a full metal plate with slanting pin block); the patented spiral spring washer; folding music rack and fall board in the uprights; and the Isotonic pedal which eliminates the shifting action in the grand. The Kranich & Bach upright and grand pianos have been before the public for more than a half century and during that time have held the same position they now occupy. The Kranich & Bach player-piano containing a player action manufactured completely in the Kranich & Bach factory is in every way as admirable as the piano of the same makers. A popular Kranich & Bach instrument is the "Grandette," a standard grand piano only 4' 9" long.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

KREITER

Made by the Kreiter Manufacturing Co. Inc., in their new, modern and a well-equipped factory. with all the latest machinery for the interior of the piano, as well as the wood working parts, such as the cases, backs, etc., which are all made in their own factory, located at Marinette, Wisconsin. The Kreiter plant covers seven acres of land. Daily capacity, thirty pianos. The Kreiter pianos are made in grands, uprights and player-pianos. They are standard instruments of high-class design and are noted for admirable tone qualities, affording ample power and expressive effects. These instruments have easily won hosts of friends. The Kreiter player-pianos are equally desirable and very popular instruments. This company also makes the Waldemar piano, named after the son of the president of the Kreiter Manufacturing Co., and which has met with success and which presages a place of genuine popularity for the pianos from Wisconsin.

TOP OF PAGE 

KRELL

The Krell grand, upright and player-pianos are the famous and very popular products of the Werner Industries Company, successor to the Krell Piano Co. Cincinnati, Ohio. Krell pianos and player-pianos have been favorites in the musical world for a great many years. They are durable, handsome, and desirable instruments.

TOP OF PAGE 

KROGER

The grand and reproducing grand pianos, player pianos and upright pianos which bear this distinguished name are known wherever music is appreciated. The name of Kroeger is an old and honorable one in the piano trade. The makers of the Kroeger have been piano makers for more than sixty years, and the Kroeger industry is one in which musical America has taken pride. The factory at New York City.

TOP OF PAGE 

KURTZMANN

Wherever good pianos are known, the Kurtzamann is a prime favorite. This celebrated instrument is available in the Reproducing Grand, with the famous Welte-Mignon (licensee) action. A magnificent concert grand, a charming parlor grand and a variety of baby grands. It is also made in uprights and upright players and the Kurtzmann line has recently been augmented by the development of a high grade four foot four vertical grand and vertical player grand. This firm is one of the country's oldest piano makers, having been established by Christian Kurtzmann in 1848. During the 77 years that have followed. the company has steadfastly adhered to the quality ideals of its founder and chosen to grow by adhesion to sound methods of production and merchandising. The Kurtzmann has won a distinct position as a musical instrument of high character. The goal has been to make each Kurtzmann a musical and artistic masterpiece. True craftsmanship is found in even the minutest details, and the Kurtzmann company has long been famed for its skill in the selection and matching of choice mahogany or walnut veneers. Special attention is given to the finishing of Kurtzmann instruments, ample time being taken to assure a finish that like the piano itself, will assure a lifetime of service. The tone quality of every Kurtzmann is developed along the most approved lines, so that t will appeal to critic and novice alike. Full laminated bridges, pin blocks, reinforced sounding boards, as well as overall metal plates are mechanical features of Kurtzmann practice that strongly appeal to those who are accustomed to appraising piano values and the Kurtzmann has become far famed as a piano that is much higher in values than it is in price.