Bluebook Of Pianos

 

       

 
                      

              BRAND NAMES OF PIANOS STARTING WITH THE LETTER E

 PIANO RATINGS | ARCHIVES | APPRAISALS | CONSUMER GUIDES | BLUEBOOK VALUE  | SELL YOUR PIANO   


 

ELECTROVA

Automatic-electrical (coin-operated) instruments, made by the Electrova Company, This house is controlled by Jacob Doll & Sons.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ELECTRATONE

This is the registered name of an electric coin operated player pianos manufactured by the Waltham Piano Co. of Milwaukee, Wis. They are high grade instruments made in three new designs and possess peculiar features including a combination harp or banjo with piano effect which is finding an ever increasing market.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ELLINGTON

Ellington reproducing pianos, grand pianos, uprights and player pianos are made by the Ellington Piano Co., Cincinnati. It has been subjected to the most severe tests of all clematis and it has endured the most rigorous use. All in all, it is considered among the best values on the market. The Ellington Manualo (the player) a piano with the human touch is a triumph of tone and technique combined, and shares fully in the established reputation of the Ellington piano proper. Output controlled by the Baldwin Piano Co.

1920 - 50000 1922 - 56500 1924 - 60000 1928 - 61700
1921 - 52500 1923 - 57500 1925 - 60500 1930 - 63000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ELLSWORTH

Pianos of popular characteristics bearing this name are from the factory of Armstrong Piano Co., East Rochester, N. Y. is of reliable quality and fully guaranteed.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

EMERSON

Emerson pianos have been manufactured since 1849 and are known everywhere by the descriptive phrase, "The sweet-toned Emerson." Upright, grand, and player pianos were manufactured.

Established by William Emerson in 1849, it is one of the beat known names in the piano world. William Emerson's idea was "tone," not tone volume solely but tone characterized by clearness and sweetness. The immediate demand for his instruments produced abundant evidence of his success. They soon became known as the "sweet-toned Emerson." The Emerson was made in small grands, spinets, being predominently a piano for the home. It was a product of the Aeolian American Corporation.

1964 - 100442 1969 - 12000 1974 - 135600 1979 - 145600
1965 - 104300 1970 - 12190 1975 - 137500 1980 - 148000
1966 - 109800 1971 - 12490 1976 - 140900 1981 - 150500
1967 - 112300 1972 - 12720 1977 - 142800 1982 - 145300
1968 - 116000 1973 - 13070 1978 - 144000 1983 - 162845

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ENGELHARDT

The Engelhardt Piano Company of St. Johnsville, N. Y., makes a specialty of the production of automatic instruments embracing orchestrions, banjo-orchestras, player-pianos and reproducing player pianos, bell pianos, flute pianos, xylophone pianos, coin operated pianos, reproducing player pianos, orchestrions, banjo orchestras and midget orchestrions.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ENTERTAINER

The Automatic Musical Instruments (AMI), Inc.

The Entertainer is a nine-piece band, a player piano, and a manual piano. It's the only piano the home or commercial user will need. The world's first and only computer-controlled or-chestrion piano, it uses the Marantz Pianocorder System and can therefore use all Marantz piano tapes and the company's own orchestrion tape cartridges. This "live music" instrument has volume control, simplicity of operation, retractable see-through keyboard cover, and an easy tilt-out instrument shelf for easy tuning.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ESTONIA PIANOS (1992)

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

EUTERP

Good and durable popular grade instruments from the large factory of Jacob Bros., New York.

 RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

EPWORTH PIANO

Epworth pianos have long been known among musical people for their characteristic sweetness of tone and all around musical excellence. The workmanship, both inside and out, are exceptionally high-class and the Epworth represents an intelligent, conscientious, painstaking effort as applied to the production of a sweet toned, reliable instrument. Epworth pianos are made by the Williams Piano & Organ Co. of Chicago

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

ESTEY

Alexander, Anderson Bros., Chase & Baker, Drachmann,
Lancaster, Malcome Love, Meldorf, Metropolitan
Purcell, Settergren, Soward, Wegman

Estey grands, period grands, reproducing grands, pianos and player pianos are manufactured by The Estey Piano Company, an old established and distinguished house of high standing throughout the trade. These instruments are well and favorably known in practically every corner of the earth, Estey being one of the best-known musical names in the world. The pianos represent the highest grade of construction throughout, and have been endorsed by numerous prominent musicians for their wonderful tone quality.

Manufacturers of the famous Estey line of pianos. The factory and executive offices were located at Bluffton, In. The Estey business was established in 1869 and has ever since occupied a position of prominence in the pianoforte industry. The concern manufactures a complete line of pianos, including 4 ft.-6 in. grands, spinets and consoles. Estey pianos received an award at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876, at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, at the International Exposition, Torino, Italy, in 1911, at the Pan-American Exposition in San Francisco in 1915, and latterly they were awarded the gold medal at the Sesqui-Centennial~ Exposition in Philadelphia for unusual beauty of case design and the high quality of the instruments.

Estey pianos were available in styles from period to traditional to modern, and in woods and finishes including African mahogany, American walnut, limed oak. Salem maple, blond mahogany and cherry.

The Estey Piano Corporation made notable improvements in piano building that have developed into the outstanding feature of Estey pianos. The Violin Bridge Construction (Patent Pending) is said to improve the tone quality, tone volume and sustaining tone in a most amazing manner. This discovery is very simple and is accomplished by reducing the mass of the treble bridge by means of running a furrow or cove along each 5i(lO of the bridge, thereby adding flexibility and reducing the weight of the bridge. The Direct Blow Action (Pat. No. 2096478) is used in all Estey consoles and spinets. This development permits of correct touch, maximum power and excellent responsiveness, and furthermore eliminates action worries and troubles. All Estey pianos have 7-ply hard maple planks.

The manufacture of Estey products was under the supervision of men who had been prominently identified with the piano industry of this country for many years, men who are authorities on quality pianoforte building.

1900 - 27800 1910 - 40000 1930 - 90090 1950 - 144000
1905 - 35000 1915 - 45000 1935 - 122000 1955 - 157000
1907 - 37000 1920 - 57000 1940 - 129300 1960 - 172000
1908 - 38000 1925 - 77000 1947 - 138000 1965 - 191000

Estey Pianos with Settergren numbers:

1928 - 8000 1934 - 17500 1939 - 22400 1943 - 24800
1930 - 11000 1937 - 20700 1941 - 24000 1948 - 25800
1932 - 14000 1938 - 21600 1942 - 24600 1949 - 27000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

EUPHONA

The famous Euphona Inner-Player piano is made by The Cable Company of Chicago in two styles, PW and PR, Equipped with manually a controlled transposing device; key lock; pedal door openers; pneumatic controls of expression by means of depress able buttons, and tracker board control of piano sustaining dampers. It also has a full tempo scale, zero to 130", roll, and a novel feature termed "Silent High Speed," all controlled by a single controlling lever. All controlling devices are concealed by Cable Sliding Wrist-Rest and Lever Cover. Has non-leaking, a noncorroding tracker bar, high speed roll, six-unit motors, patented compensating governor and the Inner-Player Miniature Keyboard. The whole device is simple in construction and presents the maximum of reliability. The cases aft handsomely veneered and well finished, of plain line design, all of which, coupled with the mechanical advantages enumerated above, account for the immense popularity of this instrument. The Style PW differs from the PR in the size of case, the former being 4 ft, 4 in. high and the latter 4 ft. 6 in. high. The Euphona Reproducing Inner-Player piano (which see) is the Euphona Inner-Player, electrically equipped. The Euphona Inner-Player, pianos have been made by The Cable Company since 1907.

REPRODUCING INNER PLAYER

One of the world's largest manufacturers of pianos and player)pianos, The Cable Company. began experimental work on reproducing pianos in 1909. During the seven years that followed their factories produced and severely tested a number of excellent models, but it was not until 1916 that their scientific experts were satisfied. Then, and not until then, was the Euphona reproducing-Inner Player placed upon the market, for it was the policy of this great house never to experiment upon the public. The Euphona Reproducing Inner Player can be played in five different ways one. It may be used as a regular piano; 2. As a regular foot created player-piano; 3. As a foot-operated player-piano with motor assistance; 4. As a motor-operated player piano with manual control of wind-pressures for expression purposes; and five. As a thoroughly efficient and entirely automatic reproducing piano. The Reproducing Inner Player is equipped with the famous Cable Inner Player parts, which were awarded the Gold Medal at the Panama Pacific International Exposition. The Miniature Keyboard, Triplex Pedal Device, Wrist Rest and a score more patented features are inventions to be found in no other players than those of Cable manufacture. Musicians have highly praised the easy action, full mellow tone and evenly balanced scale of the piano element.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

EVERETT

The Everett Piano Company was established in Boston, Mass., in 1883, by the John J. Church Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, one of the leading music publishing concerns of America. In June, 1926, Everett merged with the Cable-Nelson Piano Company; and the firm moved manufacturing facilities from Boston to South Haven, Michigan.

From its earliest inception, the Everett was a piano of high quality. Teresa Carreno, foremost pianist of her time; Walter Damrosch, long-time conductor of the N.Y. symphony and pioneer radio conductor; Cecile Chaminade, eminent French composer; the pianist Alfred Reisenauer, John Philip Sousa-these are but a few of the many great artists who played Everett grands on the concert stage or owned, used and admired them in private life. Because of the growing vogue of the small piano in the home and the shrinking market for grands. Everett ceased making grand pianos in 1946 and devoted their entire manufacturing facilities to small pianos.

A turning point in the company's history was its acquisition in 1936 by George Stapely. (The firm subsequently became a subsidiary of the Meridan Corporation.) Mr. Stapely was a graduate engineer who had served as production manager for Chevrolet and authored a series of books on engineering and cost control. One of the greatest of Mr. Stapely's innovations was the development of the Balanced Tension back. The Everett Balanced Tension back construction (patented), introduced in 1946, was a most important improvement in scientific piano construction equaling in its engineering features that of the full cast plate now universally used. The principle is as old as history, but new as applied to pianos. Using cast metal levers which control the balance the 20 ton pull of the piano strings and synchronize with movements of the cast plate under varying conditions of heat and cold, damp or dry climates, Everett achieves 40% greater tone freedom and a much more solid tone.

Exhaustive testing and the subsequent use in all part~ of America during the last thirteen years have proven most conclusively that pianos so constructed stay in tune for a much longer period. All Everett consoles and spinets have this exclusive construction feature. In 1949, as the result of many years' research, Everett introduced the first small pianos with a dyna-tension scale, which, according to Everett, gives them the "tonal beauty of a grand." The dyna-tension scale was developed and perfected by John A. Henns, America's foremost piano scale designer. This exclusive scale is possible only in Everett consoles and spinets with Balanced Tension back, because no other piano (i.e. a piano with wooden back posts instead of metal levers) has the strength to carry the increased load of a super high string tension. The company claims that the beautifully fashioned Everett offers the same "concert fidelity" . . . distortion-free volume more than adequate for today's home. . as a fine grard piano, which also has "high tension" strings.

Everett employed one of America's leading furniture designers, William H. Clingman of Grand Rapids, Michigan, to create authentic period designs and finest modern and contemporary stylings in a complete range of light, medium and dark hardwood veneer finishes to harmonize with other fine furniture pieces.

The Everett School Piano has been purchased by more than 7,000 colleges and universities, schools and churches since 1948. It was the first school piano to meet and then exceed the rigid specifications for school pianos set by Dr. Elwyn C. Carter, head of the music department of Western Michigan University. The Style 11, incorporates many features including a greatly reinforced fallboard with concealed locks at both ends, extra sturdy back-posts (26% heavier than before), and a locking top (patent applied for). The piano comes in a choice of finishes.

At one time one of the most active high grade piano on the list. A piano of distinctive qualities which the enthusiastic acclaim of many of the foreign, artists of the world and promised to make the Everett one of the foremost. Controlled by the John Church Co., of Cincinnati.

1960 - 125700 1969 - 191000 1978 - 252000 1987 - 301000
1961 - 132000 1970 - 195000 1979 - 261000 1988 - 305000
1962 - 139000 1971 - 202000 1980 - 269000 1989 - 351000
1963 - 145000 1972 - 209000 1981 - 276000 1990 - 355000
1964 - 152000 1973 - 217000 1982 - 282000 1992 - 359000
1965 - 168000 1974 - 223000 1983 - 287000 1993 - 362000
1966 - 174000 1975 - 229000 1984 - 292000 1994 - 366000
1967 - 178000 1976 - 235000 1985 - 296000 1995 - 369000
1968 - 181000 1977 - 241000 1986 - 298300 1996 - 373000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE