BLUEBOOK OF PIANOS

PIANO INFORMATION NETWORK
THE ONLINE PIANO BOOK
"Everything you always wanted  to know about pianos but didn't know who to ask"


Piano Age and  Maker Research

 

CABARET PLAYER PIANO

1977 - 5000 1979 - 7800 1981 - 10100
1978 - 6600 1980 - 9000 1982 - 11300

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CABLE

This piano is manufactured by the Conover-Cable Piano Co. with offices and factory at Oregon, Ill. The original Cable Piano, an instrument of high standing and one which has always attained great popularity, is sold extensively in all parts of the United States and abroad. It possesses that pleasing attribute an exceptionally sweet tone, one of richness and exquisite delicacy, especially recommending it for studio and home use. Its lasting qualities are as unexcelled as skill, first-class workmanship and patient attention to the infinite details that piano building can insure. The original Cable Piano not only has the best qualities that distinguish an instrument of high standing, but those superior qualities of tone and action which are rendered possible by a construction and design especially adequate to the production of such desirable results. The Cable Studio piano, due to its rugged durability, has been selected and recognized by many schools, colleges, music conservatories and public institutions where long lasting service is a requisite. The durable features embodied in original Cable pianos over many years are still being employed in attractively designed consoles and spinets.

The Cable piano was an instrument of very high standing and one which also attained great popularity that was sold extensively in all parts of the world. The immense prestige The Cable Company, rendered the "Cable" a desirable piano from the standpoint of name brand recognition, as well as superb quality, stability, and tone that possessed a pleasing attribute of an exceptional richness and exquisite delicacy. A Cable piano not only had the best qualities that can distinguish instruments of high standing, those superior qualities of tone and action which were rendered possible by a construction and design

Especially adequate to the production of such desirable results. Embodied in the upright model was a patented sound board and frame construction which is a new and exclusive feature. Instruments having this construction bear the trademark "Tone Arch." The patented sounding-board-and-frame construction, in the grand model is a simple but most effective devices, consisting of a curved bracing member built into the frame. This is a part of an improved construction designed to maintain the proper curvature of the soundboard necessary to preserve the original tonal beauty of the instrument. Instruments having this construction bear the trade mark "Crown stay." The Cable Reproducing Grand has all the merits of the regular Cable Grand, including the famous "Crown stay" construction. Combined with a reproducing action made exclusively Cable which has been developed to the highest stage of perfection through a long series of experiments carried on in the great Cable factories.

An addition to the Cable line was the Midget piano which presented remarkable features. It was but 44 inches high and 55 inches in length, it was not a makeshift; not a toy; and not a compromise. It was a full-fledged upright, built to meet every single exacting Cable standard of quality and workmanship. It was used in places where this little instrument was highly practical. In the school room the small apartment, the den, or on the veranda of the summer home. Because of its small Size and weight, the Cable Midget Upright was always readily moved about. No job was too difficult for this staunch little instrument: it was endowed with an unusual ability to withstand even more trying conditions of service than most larger pianos are called upon to meet. It was the forerunner of all of the vertical pianos of today. The Cable Player, Style "PL," contained all the very important and exclusive Cable features which made the Cable line of players famous. It was extremely easy to operate. A powerful, exclusive type motor provided a steady flow of power at all times. The "Wrist-Rest," a patented Cable device, enabled the operator to rest the arm in maintain a natural, non- tiring position while playing. The pedals when not in use folded completely out of sight giving it the appearance of a regular upright piano when played as a normal piano.

Manufactured by The Cable Company, of Chicago, a piano manufacturing enterprise unsurpassed in the amount of the product or in financial strength by any other institution of similar character in the world's musical industries. The Cable piano is an instrument of very high standing and one which has also attained great popularity and is sold extensively in all parts of the United States and largely abroad. This piano, bearing as it does, the name of this big company, represents to an unusual degree, big value. It possesses that pleasing attribute, an exceptionally sweet tone, one of richness and exquisite delicacy, especially recommending it for parlor use. Its lasting qualities are as unexcelled as skill, first class workmanship and patient attention to the infinite details of piano building can insure.

The Cable piano not only has the best qualities that distinguish an instrument of high standing, but those superior qualities of tone and action which are rendered possible by a construction and design especially adequate to the production of such desirable results. Embodied in the upright model is a patented sound board and frame construction which is a new and exclusive feature. Instruments having this construction bear the trademark "Tone-Arch." The patented sounding-board-and-frame construction, in the grand model is a simple but most effective device, consisting of a curved bracing member built into the frame. This Is a part of an improved construction designed to maintain the proper curvature of the sound board. So necessary to preserve the original tonal beauty of the instrument. Instruments having this construction bear the trademark "Crowns stay." The Cable Reproducing Grand has all the merits of the regular Cable Grand, including the famous "Crown stay" construction. Combined with it is a reproducing action exclusively Cable which has been developed to the highest stage of perfection through a long series of experiments carried on in the great Cable factories. A recent addition to the Cable line is the Midget Upright which presents some remarkable features. It is but '44 inches high and 55 inches in length. But it is not a makeshift not a toy, not a compromise. It is a full-fledged upright piano, built to meet every exacting cable standard of quality and workmanship. There are scores of places where this little instrument is highly practical in the school room, the small apartment, and the den, or on the veranda of the summer home. Because of its small Size and weight, the Cable Midget Upright may be readily moved about. No service is too difficult for this staunch little instrument: it is endowed with an unusual ability to withstand even more trying conditions of service than most larger pianos are called upon to meet. The Cable Player, Style "PL," contains all the important exclusive Cable features which have made the Cable line of players famous. This player is extremely easy to operate. A powerful, exclusive type motor provides a steady flow of power at all times. The "Wrist-Rest," a patented Cable device, enables the operator to maintain a natural, untiring position while playing. When not in use the pedals fold completely out of sight, giving it the appearance of a regular upright piano when played by hand.

1950 - 318000 1958 - 342400 1966 - 386000 1975 - 425700
1951 - 321000 1959 - 345800 1967 - 393000 1976 - 429300
1952 - 323000 1960 - 350600 1969 - 398000 1977 - 434000
1953 - 326000 1961 - 355000 1970 - 401700 1978 - 437000
1954 - 333000 1962 - 360000 1971 - 407300 1979 - 443000
1955 - 336500 1963 - 365000 1972 - 411400 1980 - 448000
1956 - 338000 1964 - 372000 1973 - 415900 1981 - 451000
1957 - 339200 1965 - 379000 1974 - 420700 1982 - 455200

TOP OF PAGE

CABLE & SONS

These instruments are made of good material and possess elements of great popularity. The industry was established at Albany in 1852. and has been active in New York City for a great many years and was incorporated in 1923.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CABLE, HOBART M., [Made according to specifications of H.M. Cable, Est. 1900.]

    CABLE, HOBART M. More than a hundred thousand instruments bearing this name have been manufactured since 1911. The pianos are known for their musical excellence, durability and attractive cabinet work. Instruments bearing this name are manufactured by The Hobart M. Cable Co., Laporte, Indiana. The distinctive characteristics of the Hobart M. Cable piano are remarkably sweet and pure tone qualities combined with unusual power. The construction of the piano is notable for its solidity and compactness and for a number of superior features, which contribute to the general excellence. The scale, which is the scientific basis of quality in the Hobart M. Cable piano, is of the even, unbroken and satisfying kind that appeals to the trained musical ear. It is the inner secret of the great growth of the Hobart M. Cable piano's fame. In a word, it may be said that the Hobart M. Cable piano is a remarkable instrument, possessing all of the essentials of a strictly high-grade piano. , Purity and sweetness of tone, evenness of scale, great durability, superb case designs in the richest of woods, and high commercial value. Its reputation, now impregnably secure, has extended from ocean to ocean and even beyond the nation's boundaries. It is a piano high up between the recognized leaders and one whose brilliant career has already been fixed and whose future is secure. The player-piano bearing the same name possesses all of the admirable characteristics of the piano and may safely be recommended. Hobart M. Cable reproducing piano is marked by the same characteristics as the players and pianos with the remarkable control and interpretive powers added.

1901-1900      1917-53000    1932-117000   1951-221000

1902-4400      1918-56200    1933-122500   1952-228000

1903-8700      1919-59800    1934-127000   1953-235000

1904-11500    1920-62500     1935-132000   1954-245000

1905-15300    1921-65100     1936-136000   1955-252000

1906-18000    1922-70000     1937-142500   1956-263000

1907-21000    1923-75000     1938-147000   1957-272000

1908-24000    1924-79500     1939-151600   1958-282000

1909-27400    1925-83600     1940-155000   1959-294000

1910-30900    1926-88000     1941-159000   1960-307000

1911-34000    1927-92600     1942-164000   1961-321000

1912-37000    1928-98000     1947-176000   1962-335000

1913-40000    1929-102600   1948-194000   1963-349000

1914-43500    1930-107000   1949-200000   1964-364000

1915-47200    1931-112000   1950-214000   1965-379000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CABLE-NELSON PIANO CO.

Owned and controlled by the Everett Piano Company, South Haven, Michigan, (listed in this section). Cable-Nelson is the low-priced companion line to the Everett. Since 1905, over a quarter of a million Cable-Nelson pianos, bearing one of the most respected names in American piano manufacturing have been produced in the large Everett factory on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Historically, the story of the origin of Cable-Nelson begins in Chicago in 1903 when Fayette S. Cable, a distinguished leader in the piano industry at the turn of the century, purchased two well established Chicago piano companies: the Lakeside Piano Company and the Sweetland Piano Company. These were merged into the Fayette S. Cable Company.

Cable joined forces with H. P. Nelson in 1905 to form the Cable-Nelson Piano Company. Messrs. Cable and Nelson, widely planning for the future of the company, sought to locate it in a fine, smaller community where the tradition of building outstanding pianos could be generated among the local working force and the standards of quality and perfection in their concept of manufacture could be insured. After surveying numerous mid-western localities, they chose South Haven which had ideal industrial facilities. From the very inception of the Cable-Nelson Company, Fayette S. Cable set the course of the company's operation in the direction of producing exceptionally fine pianos made of carefully selected materials and crafted with superior workmanship. And, starting out in a new manufacturing plant designed and built for the express purpose of making pianos, Cable rapidly proved his theory that the musical public would quickly recognize the design, tone and durability of Cable-Nelson pianos.

Historically, the story of the origin of Cable-Nelson begins in Chicago in 1903 when Fayette S. Cable, a distinguished leader in the piano industry at the turn of the century, purchased two well established Chicago piano companies: the Lakeside Piano Company and the Sweetland Piano Company. These were merged into the Fayette S. Cable Company.

Cable joined forces with H. P. Nelson in 1905 to form the Cable-Nelson Piano Company. Messrs. Cable and Nelson, widely planning for the future of the company, sought to locate it in a fine, smaller community where the tradition of building outstanding pianos could be generated among the local working force and the standards of quality and perfection in their concept of manufacture could be insured. After surveying numerous mid-western localities, they chose South Haven which had ideal industrial facilities. From the very inception of the Cable-Nelson Company, Fayette S. Cable set the course of the company's operation in the direction of producing exceptionally fine pianos made of carefully selected materials and crafted with superior workmanship. And, starting out in a new manufacturing plant designed and built for the express purpose of making pianos, Cable rapidly proved his theory that the musical public would quickly recognize the design, tone and durability of Cable-Nelson pianos.

For the next two decades, the company prospered and produced fine grand and upright pianos that became proud possessions in homes all over the nation. In 1926, the Cable-Nelson Piano Company merged its plant, facilities and piano making with one of the greatest names in the American music industry, the Everett Piano Company, founded in Boston in 1883. When the two companies joined forces, the principle of product dependability at low cost was preserved in the Cable-Nelson line of pianos. And, through all of its history, the Cable-Nelson has represented one of this country's highest grades of pianos designed and built to be sold at a modest price to bring an excellent musical instrument to American families. Cable-Nelson cases are designed by William H. Cliagman of Grand Rapids, one of America 5 most noted furniture designers. From his drawing board in the center of the greatest furniture producing area of the country, Cliagman works in close association with the production engineering specialists at the South Haven plant. His objective always is freshness of design, together with lasting good taste and dignity. The Cable-Nelson is available in a variety of contemporary styles and light-to-dark finishes.

Cable-Nelson was a name so well established that it was to become the first rank of the piano industry on the strength of the excellence of its product and the high standard of its business policy. There was a wide and constant growing demand on the part of the average piano buyer for a thoroughly high-grade and player-piano of real musical excellence. This demand to which the Cable-Nelson Piano Co. had addressed itself from the very beginning of its career, both to supply it and to foster it. Its motto is "A real piano and a fair price." The remarkable growth of the company bears witnesses to the soundness of its policy and its success in carrying it out. Its instruments were distinguished by their fine tone quality, excellent work of case design and finish. Cable-Nelson pianos embodied the characteristics of best standards in the art of player construction. A piano-player mechanism is most responsive and musically adequate, and the tone quality just right for the best player results. The Cable-Nelson factory is one of the most attractively located in the trade, and the wonderful efficiency of its organization and equipment is the cause of general comment. The high financial and commercial standing of the company and the reputation and experiences of its officers add to the distinction of the excellent and reliable instrument.

1950 - 221000 1958 - 281700 1966 - 360000 1974 - 417000
1951 - 228000 1959 - 289800 1967 - 365000 1975 - 421000

Made by Yamaha after 1973

1952 - 235000 1960 - 300100 1968 - 372000 1976 - 424000
1953 - 241000 1961 - 311000 1969 - 381000 1977 - 426000
1954 - 247000 1962 - 321000 1970 - 390000 1978 - N/A
1955 - 254400 1963 - 329000 1971 - 398000 1979 - N/A
1956 - 263000 1964 - 347000 1972 - 403000 1980 - N/A
1957 - 272000 1965 - 354000 1973 - 412000 1981 - 427000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CALISIA PIANOS

The Calisia piano and grand piano factory were founded in 1878 in the city of Kalisz, Poland. Calisia has a long and rich tradition of piano manufacturing. Its 350 skilled craftsmen build about 5,000 upright and grand pianos annually. Calisia pianos are sold in every country in Europe. They are also widely known and sold in the Middle East, Africa, The Orient, and Australia. Each Calisia piano is hand-made in the Old WorkI piano-building tradition. Calisia pianos are not mass-produced. Each worker is allowed extra time, if necessary, to finish the job to his satisfaction. An enormous stock of wood, enough for the production of pianos for the next ten years, is constantly being refilled. All wood is seasoned outdoors for two years and then is subjected to additional dry-kiln seasoning. The result is a moisture content of five percent, which meets an(l exceeds all North American standards.

Since Calisia pianos are made the old, traditional way, all cabinet parts are made out of solid wood. No particle board, flake-hoard, or other imitation recycled by-products are ever used. In addition, no inexpensive high-speed mold-injected plastic action parts are ever used. Calisia's craftsmen prefer to build pianos with tried an(l true methods of piano-making that have stood the test of time. Calisia uses only premium all-wood actions with a center rail made of densified beech hard-wood. Grand pianos feature the famous Renner action from West Germany.

The upright models have a "full perimeter" iron frame design. Due to this extra-wide design, the frame an withstand and distribute the tension much more evenly. In addition, this frame design permits a narrower cabinet de-sign with a slimmer silhouette which is not so "bulky looking" as some pianos. Keys are individually lead-weighted and balanced to ensure unformity of touch and response. All upright models feature full or half-size toe blocks, castors, three working pedals, fallboard lock, deluxe benches, solid brass hardware, and other quality features. Calisia pianos have a full 30-year warranty on the whole piano and are priced the same as Korean-made pianos.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CALL MANUFACTURING COMPANY

This company began manufacturing two lines of pianos in 1979

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CAMILLERI PIANOS

A New Standard Of Excellence. A new instrament, built in the old German tradition, is now ava~able for the discerning musician. Designed and produced by veteran piano craftsman Sam Camilleri, this 7 mahogany instrumment was the first in a limited series of 50 pianos to be built each year. The unique performance capabilities of the JC-7 are attributable to what Camilleri calls, "The most fantastic machine ever designed, the most perfect tool ever invented, the human hand."

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

J. C. CAMPBELL

Manufactured by Kohler & Campbell, Inc., Fiftieth and Eleventh Ave., New York City. A well made a thoroughly reliable medium priced piano, named after the late J. C. Campbell, a piano maker of unquestioned skill. The J. C. Campbell piano was first produced in 1900, and it has well sustained the fame of the man whose name it bears. This piano has received a great number of unsolicited testimonials, all attesting to remarkable value at moderate prices.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CAROLA INNER-PLAYER

This name is used exclusively by The Cable Company to designate their pneumatic players' mechanism embodied in the Carola and Conover Carola Inner-Play Pianos. The Carola Inner-Player pneumatic action represents the latest developments in interior ph. mg mechanisms. An especially desirable feat is the fact that all the various part which to make tip Carola Inner Player- pianos is mainly the shops and plant of The Cable Company thus providing for the most accurate adjustment and the building up of the instrument as a solo unit. and not as a collection of assembled parts maunder varying standards of other factories. This construction is endorsed by ugh musical authorities providing the means for the most artistic rendition capable of the greatest expression and showing a perfection and finish in workmanship that in itself is why this company was the first to guarantee its play mechanism for five years. These exclusive features of the Carola Inner-Player mechanism which have contributed toward its phenomenal success in the past few years, have been the transposing device; pneumatic clutch unit motors; easy running roil mechanism introduction of fibre in contact with metal to eliminate rattles when playing by hand; counter shaft running direct motor drive without the sounds of chains when playing; a miniature keyboard on the pneumatic action for procuring an exceptional responsive touch; metallic construction of parts usual affected by atmospheric changes; Solo-Aid Device which plays the solo or melody louder than the accompaniment; four controlling levers: tempo indicators close music sheet facilitating the following of marks the on; cover for lever which also affords a comfort rest for the wrists; sectional bellows construction easily disconnected and removed to afford access to parts otherwise concealed; slide valves transfixed by steel to prevent warping; easy pedaling due to a patented leverage system; automatic Triplex Pedal Device, which the pedals automatically released from a returned to the case by the simplest possible movement. The Carola Inner-Player action requiring a minimum of room, permits the placement of a stronger back on the piano, thus assuring durability.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHALLIS, JOHN

Harpsichord and Clavichord maker. 85 E. Vernor Hwy., Detroit Mich. Established in 1930. The first to use cast aluminum for structural frames not dependent on a substructure of wood. The first to use combined Bakelite and aluminum wrestplanks in which tuning-pins cannot come

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHARLES R. WALTER PIANO CO.

In 1901 Webb Janssen produced the first Janssen piano at his shop in New York. In 1964 Janssen was purchased by C. G. Conn where extensive research and technological advancements in piano design and engineering in the late 1960's resulted in the Janssen becoming the first computer designed piano in the country.

Being an instrument of real musical expression, it must also be an instrument of exceptional beauty, expressive of the aesthetic values of the home in which it is placed. The Janssen piano designers paid particular attention to both traditional styling and the best furniture trends. Expert design is then combined with careful and painstaking craftsmanship to produce pianos with beauty characteristic of the finest home furnishings.

In 1970, Mr. Charles R. Walter, who had played a major role in the work done at Conn, purchased the company.  The name was changed to The Walter Piano Company. The Walter Piano Company continued to manufacture Janssen Pianos until 1976. Mr. Walter's intention from the very start was to combine technological advances with his own extensive engineering background and mechanical ability to produce the finest quality pianos available on the market. Upon taking control, Mr. Walter immediately cut back production to insure careful attention to detail and to quality standards. The company's growth since that time has been specifically directed toward improving and maintaining quality.

The latest results of these efforts are the all-new Charles R. Walter Concert Console and Studio pianos. Mr. Walter has given these pianos his own name as the "Signature of Quality" in order to emphasize his personal interest in assuring and maintaining the highest quality in design and in production standards. These pianos introduced in the summer of 1975 are acclaimed as the finest quality vertical pianos on the market today.

WALTER, Charles R.

1977 - 502200 1978 - 502630 1979 - 503275 1980 - 504025 1981 - 505000
1982 - 505660 1983 - 506430 1984 - 507400 1986 - 508800 1987 - 509730
1988 - 510920 1989 - 512300 1990 - 513700 1991 - 515100 1992 - 516400
1993 - 517700 1994 - 518850 1995 - 520050 1996 - 521250 1997 - 522600
1998 - 524050 1999 - 525500 2000 - 526550 2001 - 527700 2002 - 528650

CHICKERING & SONS.

Chickering & Sons celebrated in 1923 the completion of a century of continuous manufacture of the Chickering pianos. This illustrious firm, the oldest piano house in the United States, has been at all times in the forefront and has received world wide recognition for its part in developing the pianoforte on distinctive lines. Jonas Chickering, the founder, was born at Mason Village, New Hampshire, in April 1796, where, after a sound schooling, he thoroughly learned the business of cabinetmaking. Impelled by a restless ambition to seek a larger field, he went to Boston in his early twenties.

There he entered the factory of a well-known piano maker of those days and pursued a course of study in piano making in its then primitive stage. It was not long before the genius of Jonas Chickering manifested itself, and he introduced a series of changes and improvements which have since become standard and which revolutionized the methods then prevailing. His name from the earliest times has been constantly linked with the Americanizing of the piano by methods of such importance and value that both America and Europe today admit their worth by universal adoption. To him must be ascribed the invention of the full iron plate for grand pianos recorded in 1837. This invention was accepted by the scientific world as one of far reaching importance; indeed, it proved to be the foundation of all modern piano construction, for without it the sonorous grands of today would not have been impossible. It successfully solved the problem of the proper support for the great strain of the strings and defined a new era in the history of piano-making. In 1843, Jonas Chickering invented a new deflection of the strings and in 1845 the first practical method for over stringing in square pianos, that is, instead of setting the strings side by side, substituting an arrangement of them in two banks, one over the other, not only saving space but bringing the powerful bass strings directly over the most resonant part of the sound-board, a principle which obtains to this day in the construction of all pianos, both grands and uprights. Until the year 1852, Jonas Chickering superintended each department of his business with his usual scrupulous care but was relieved of much of this responsibility upon his taking into partnership his three sons, all of whom had received under their father a practical training of the highest order. The genius of C. Frank Chickering as a "scale" draftsman soon became internationally know and acknowledged and to his extensive scientific research is to be attributed much of the renowned beauty of the Chickering tone. Not content with retaining this invaluable knowledge himself he imparted the secrets of his studies to those in the factory in whose gifts he had confidence, thus insuring their perpetuation. In addition to the many patents taken out by Jonas Chickering, his sons and their successors, various methods exclusive to themselves have also been employed and there are in constant use operations of an abstract character which may be described as mechanical subtleties possessing great value and which are an integral part of the Chickering system.

The above outline of the significant importance of the Chickering system will appeal to the practical minded but to those who would know more of the romance and charm which the Chickering story holds for the student of America's musical development. The significance and historic value of the Chickering in the development of the pianoforte in America are seen in the preservation at the Ford Museum at Dearborn of several important Chickering including the very first instrument made by Jonas Chickering in 1823. Others are: the first Chickering upright made in 1830 and the first Chickering grand completed prior to 1850. Chickering & Sons have received upwards of 200 first medals and awards. These have been received from States and sovereigns, and international expositions and learned societies in all parts of the world embracing every known method of honoring distinguished merit. C. Frank Chickering was personally vested with the Imperial Cross of the Legion of Honor at the hands of Napoleon 111. The significance of this high honor is the more appreciated because of its extreme rarity, very few such honors having been bestowed for accomplishments in the fine arts. In 1923 Chickering & Sons were the recipients of a remarkable tribute from musicians and persons of prominence in all walks of life who united in celebrating the Hundredth Anniversary of the founding of Jonas Chickering's epoch making enterprises. A committee headed by the Hon. Calvin Coolidge (then Vice)President of the United States, carried to a successful and brilliant conclusion what was termed the Jonas Chickering Centennial Celebration, culminating in a banquet held at the Copley Plaza, Boston, at which Mr. Coolidge was the chief speaker. It marked in a most significant manner a century of musical achievement that is without parallel in the history of American piano making. The most famous virtuosi including pianists, singers and instrumentalists have exhausted superlatives in expressing their high admiration of the Chickering. The Handel and Haydn Society of Boston the world's foremost oratorio group, established 1815, has used the Chickering exclusively for more than a century.

The grand and upright pianos and the grands and uprights with the Ampico, which bear this famous name, possess the distinction which belongs to the oldest continuous piano industry in the United States. In the year 1923 a nation wide observance of the Jonas Chickering Centennial marked the completion of a full century of artistic musical endeavor of the Chickering house. Calvin Coolidge, then Vice President, was the principal speaker at the banquet in Boston on April 21st. The founder of this illustrious house was Jonas Chickering whose name is inseparably associated with many of the most important piano improvements of all time. He was born in Mason Village, N. H., on April 17, 1759, and in his early twenties he went to Boston. He had already learned thoroughly the cabinet making trade, and his education had been thorough. He soon entered the employ of the pioneers' piano maker of those days, and began a course of serious study of the art which was to engross his life. The genius of Jonas Chickering soon made itself apparent and his industry kept pace. He revolutionized the methods of piano building, and with the introduction of his full iron plate, an advance of measureless importance, laid the foundation of the recognition which has ever since been accorded his name. So universally has the importance of this improvement been recognized that pianos are no longer made without it. It is but a short time back that the first Chickering piano ever made was repurchased by the Boston house and it is now in possession of the company, a source of pride to the present management and of interest to all music lovers. It illustrates the vast advance in piano building between the early days of the piano and the massive concert grands of today. In 1883 Jonas Chickering took into partnership his three sons, all of whom had received a practical training. C. Frank Chickering proved the inheritor of his father's genius, and as a"scale' draftsman soon became widely known. To his dimensional and correlated studies are to be attributed much of the renowned beauty of the Chickering tone. The secrets of this invaluable knowledge he imparted to chiefs in the Boston factory, in whose gifts he had confidence, thus insuring their perpetuation. Not only were many patents taken out by Jonas Chickering, his sons and their successors, but various methods exclusive to themselves have also been employed, and there are in constant use operations of an abstract character which maybe described as mechanical subtleties which are an integral part of the Chickering system. Chickering & Sons have been recipients of upwards of 150 marks of distinction both in the United States and Europe, in the form of diploma, gold medals, and letters from learned bodies. C. Frank Chickering himself was personally invested with the Imperial Cross of the Legion of Honor by the hands of Napoleon III. Less than ten such honors having been bestowed for accomplishment in the fine arts, which fact adds significance to the distinction. Every recognized means of showing marked appreciation has been employed in all parts of the world. The most famous virtuosi have exhausted eulogistic language In declaring their admiration of the Chickering piano. But Chickering & Sons have never rested upon laurels won. The Chickering of today has kept pace with the exacting demands made upon the piano by present day artists. During the present season the Chickering Concert Grands are contributing to the aesthetic success artists as Dohnanyi, Mirovitch, Schnitzer, Levinne, and many others of the highest rank. Remarkable in employees. There are men living who worked with Jonas Chickering, a long life time of service which the house has been glad to honor. There are also scores who have been engaged in the Chickering departments for periods a running from 25 to nearly 50 years. This implies loyalty and esprit de corps invaluable in this art industry, and which is a reflection of its atmosphere. The House of Chickering stands in unquestioned financial strength and enjoys an integrity which has been its proud possession from the beginning.

The list of pianists, composers, and musicians who have since its inception used and endorsed the Chickering piano is much to long to include here. Several decades ago, this great house of pianos, content with its already rich background of achievement on the concert stage, turned its attention to the perfection of the smaller piano. The Chickering is essentially a piano for the home. Pianos of the highest degree of quality, both in craftsmanship and materials, worthy of completely rebuilding and refinishing.

1823 - 100 1940 - 167200 1964 - 219221 1974 - 235824
1850 - 10000 1943 - 179500 1965 - 221117 1975 - 237578
1905 - 105000 1947 - 187000 1967 - 224943 1977 - 240626
1910 - 115000 1950 - 195000 1968 - 226928 1978 - 242694
1919 - 130000 1955 - 204000 1969 - 228651 1979 - 244266
1920 - 132500 1960 - 212750 1970 - 230300 1980 - 245989
1925 - 139700 1961 - 214527 1971 - 231317 1981 - 247477
1930 - 148400 1962 - 216488 1972 - 232410 1982 - 248500
1935 - 155200 1963 - 217830 1973 - 234059 July 22, 1982

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHICKERING, JONAS

Built by Wurlitzer owned by Baldwin. Entry level pianos during late 1980's, early 1990's.

1986 - 1885000 1988 - 2002000 1990 - 2080001 1987 - 1935000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CAMBRIDGE

Popular pianos and p layer-pianos, manufactured by the Cambridge Piano Co., 89 Southern Boulevard, New York City, which makes also a specialty of pianos and player-pianos but 3 ft. 9 in. and 4 ft. 3 in height. These attractive uprights' height perfectly the requirements of schools and apartment houses. They are instruments of admirable qualities in every way and are sold at prices within reach of the American householder. The styles are designated as zero and F respectively.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CARTER

Pianos, players, grands, electric and reproducing piano bearing this name are manufactured in a well-equipped factory at 632 W. 51st St., New York City, and are possessed of extraordinary tone qualities. They are made by skilled workmen of the finest materials obtainable, and have established a reputation for themselves as honestly built, reliable pianos of exceptional value.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHASE BROTHERS

The high grade production of the Chase Hackley Piano Co., of Muskegon, Mich. An artistic instrument whose wide fame has been won by years of striving to attain to the perfection of an ideal American piano. The history of the "Chase Bros." Piano dates back more than 62 years. From the first there has been but one aim so far as the quality of the instrument is concerned. There has been nothing spared to bring the "Chase Bros." Piano to the highest point of perfection, and as a necessary consequence the cost of the instrument is proportionate to that of the other first class instruments. Chase Brothers pianos are made in artistic grands and uprights of most approved models. They contain a number of patented features and they are manufactured by the most skilled workmen. Refer to Chase- Hackley Piano Co.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHASE,A.B.

Established in 1885. This is an honored name in the annals of music in America, being closely associated with the love and development of music in the American home. A.B. Chase pianos have always been known for splendid workmanship. The A.B. Chase baby grand in fair condition is worth rebuilding at a considerable cost.

The A. B. Chase piano factory was established in 1875 and produces the highest grade pianos both in uprights and grands. The A. B. Chase pianos are also equipped with the Cello Reproducing Medium. The policy of this factory' has long been that no material is too good a piano no skilled labor too expensive if it will improve the A. B. Chase piano. All pianos manufactured from 1875 to 1922 were completely hand made from the finest materials available during that era. An A.B. Chase piano took as long as two years to complete. All A.B. Chase pianos are worthy of rebuilding. Pianos from the earlier time 1875 to 1922 are exceptional.

1900 - 42000 1910 - 54000 1920 - 62000 1930 - 72000

Vertical & Grand Pianos After 1960 Made by Aeolian:

1965 - 928000 1970 - 146000 1975 - 177000 1980 - 208700
1966 - 109700 1971 - 153400 1976 - 185900 1981 - 214200
1967 - 119400 1972 - 160600 1977 - 189000 1982 - 221200
1968 - 132800 1973 - 167600 1978 - 194000
1969 - 140300 1974 - 171800 1979 - 201500

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHASE & BAKER Est. 1900. Buffalo, New York

1956 - 160000 1959 - 169000 1962 - 180000 1965 - 191000
1957 - 163100 1960 - 172000 1963 - 183000 1966 - 195000
1958 - 166000 1961 - 176000 1964 - 187000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHASSAIGNE, FRERES (Bros), Calle Valencia 70, Barcelona, Spain. Est. 1864.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHRISTMAN

One of the old and reputable names in the American piano industry, Christman pianos, player-pianos and grand pianos are everywhere recognized as instruments of a high grade and they are commended b a large number of the foremost piano merchants throughout the world. The Christman "Studio" grand has made a noteworthy success. It is but 5 feet long but p05 uses tone power comparable with the effects of the larger instruments. The Christman slogan of "The First Touch Tells" (registered), has become familiar in musical circles for being suggestive of the attractive tone quality of the instruments. The Christman Reproducing Grand is a recognized triumph in piano manufacture. The Christman Studio Grand holds an enviable place among the dainty little instruments of the grand design. It possesses a powerful tone of most agreeable resonance and it is one of the most successful instruments with trade and public.

1900 - 11000 1916 - 25000 1921 - 34000 1927 - 39900
1905 - 15000 1917 - 26800 1923 - 37800 1928 - 40300
1915 - 23500 1920 - 32000 1925 - 39000 1929 - 41000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CECILIAN

Name of a famous pioneer player-piano of the highest grade which presents very scientific and indestructible features. This instrument is described in the article or the Bush & Lane instruments on a preceding page to which refer. The Cecilian is capable of absolutely perfect expression, and it is representative of the most advanced ideas in player mechanism. It has been before the world for a good many years and is claimed to be the first of the players.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CELLO

This is the name given to the reproducing players' mechanism installed in the A. B. Chase, Emerson and Lindeman & Sons' pianos, which are controlled by the United Piano Corporation. The Cello Reproducing Medium reproduces the work of such artists as Paderewski, Hoffmann, Bauer. Gabrilowitsch and hundreds of others of worldwide fame with an accuracy of technique and expression which is impossible to distinguish from the work of the living performer. The pianos in which the Cello Reproducing Medium is installed are the A. B. Chase, the Emerson, and the Lindeman & Sons. The Cello Reproducing Medium is operated by an elec. trip motor making foot pumping unnecessary. It can also be used as a player piano, using the regular eighty-eight note player rolIs. It is embodied in both upright and grand pianos.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHRISTIE & CO.

Named for Jacob Christie, formerly of B. Bogart & Co., succeeded by the Bogart Piano Co., and made by that industry with the factory at 185th St. and Willow Ave New York, Pianos of good quality by a reliable firm.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHURCHILL

well-made pianos, player-pianos and grand pianos bear this name. They are the products of the Hartford Piano Co., of Chicago, and they have a very large sale because of their beauty and moderate prices.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CLARENDON

Grand pianos, reproducing pianos, player pianos and upright pianos bearing this now distinguished name, are recognized as among the thoroughly representative types of artistic American instruments. In tone, both as to power and the delicate gradations of expression, these pianos are recognized among pianists as models and their development has been made possible by skill and the uniformity of methods which belong to well-equipped industries of the modern kind. There is a quality in the Clarendon that at once asserts itself and without which no instrument can achieve success of the larger kind. The depth and breadth of the tonal values of the graceful, and now famous, Clarendon grands are quickly recognized. The Clarendon player. Piano is peculiarly strong in its musical and material attainments. It is equipped with an improved pneumatic action of peculiar sensitiveness, and it presents special points of excellence which are appreciated by the most critical. The Clarendon reproducing grands and uprights are representative of the latest forward step in the art of making the piano the most playable and most enjoyable musical instrument for the home. The degree of perfection in expression attained never fails to enthuse the music lover.

1910 - 33100 1923 - 100000 1925 - 106600 1928 - 115900
1915 - 64000 1924 - 102400 1926 - 109000 1930 - 117000

See: HADDORFF AND KARL ZECK

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONCORD

Pianos and player-pianos of dependability and attractive qualities which bear this name were manufactured in Chicago for many years, until the industry of Mr. Geo. P. Bent was secured by a large corporation with the factory in Louisville. The Geo. P.Bent Company operates a large plant and produces other piano brands.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONNOR, FRANCIS

Pianos and player-pianos of fine quality are manufactured by Mr. Francis Connor, whose factory is at 184th S. Cypress Ave., New York. Mr. Connor Is an expert In piano construction.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONWAY

Pianos bearing this well -known name first appeared in the winter of l905. In November 1925, the control of the Hallet & Davis Piano Co. of Boston, which had marketed the Conway instruments, was acquired by the Premier Grand Piano Corporation, and the Conway up right pianos and players are now produced in the factories of Jacob Doll & Sons, New' York. Conway Pianos are In every way beautiful and dependable by Jacob Doll & Sons.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONOVER Est. 1885.

This was a high grade of piano manufactured by J. Frank Conover who was considered by many one of the worlds great piano makers. Located in the heart of piano country, Mr. Frank Conover devoted more than forty years of his life to the study of a single problem - tone. The Conover scale design is still imitated by many factories. A Conover piano is worth rebuilding as an investment quality piano. Pianos of the highest type, first made in 1885 by Frank Conover, an expert of international distinction, were later manufactured by The Cable Company, of Chicago. In making the Conover piano The Cable Company kept constantly in view the highest requirements of the artistic piano and successfully strives to meet the growing demand for an instrument to fill the place created by the trend of modern times and recent musical developments. The Conover piano is distinctly a modern instrument whose fame is secure because of the unchallenged artistic merit that sustains it. It is a piano in which are embodied principles that have by experience been proven to be the foundation of superior tone quality, and it is made in accordance with the most advanced ideas of piano construction. It possesses all of the requirements demanded by the most exacting pianists and its use in the concert room is a feature of the musical world. It is a frequent remark among critics of the piano that the Conover scale represents the highest attainment in the art of tone production. It is a scale of absolute accuracy, by which the peculiarly even, sympathetic, yet powerful musical character of the Conover pianos is insured. With the Conover, as with only the highest types of pianos, it is possible to render the finest gradations of tone color and to attain a tone of perfect purity, sweetness and resonance. Of course, in a piano of this character the important matter of durability enters largely. The Conover is a piano of solid construction. The back and frame are of such strength that the enormous "pull" of the strings produces not the least "give." The pin block is built in layers of quarter sawn hard rock maple, the grain of each layer running transversely to that of its neighbor and these pianos' stand in tune for a remarkable period of time. In the important matter of the action the Conover is no less well equipped. Every one of the several thousand parts of the Conover piano action is made and adjusted with all the care which fulfills every requirement of merit of prompt response, agreeable "feeling" and elasticity. And in the construction of the Conover grand pianos there are also features of peculiar interest to scientific pianists. The grand rims are continuous and are made of separate layers of wood bent into permanent shape. These rims typify strength and, of course, conform to the shape of the grand plate. The Conover grand piano has received the enthusiastic Endorsement of a large number of the famous pianists whose appearance in concert give added prominence to the piano upon which they prove their powers. The patented sounding board and frame construction in the small grand model is part of an improved construction designed to maintain the proper curvature of the sounding board, so necessary to preserve the original tonal beauty of the instrument. Instruments having this construction bear the trademark "Crown Stay." In a recent publication devoted to descriptions of the various styles of Conover pianos there are portraits of some of the most renowned pianists and vocalists accompanied by words of commendation. A reading of these letters is alone a lesson in piano appreciation and must impress the reader with the character of the artistic Conover piano. Conover grand pianos are made in several sizes. The small Grand and parlor grand having attained great popularity among piano buyers of the higher class. The Conover Reproducing Grand unites the artistic Conover Grand with a perfected reproducing action that is exclusively Cable. This is a reproducing piano that is simple in construction, positive in action and trouble proof. Correctly Sized for the small home or apartment with the reproducing action completely concealed. The Conover Reproducing Grand is graceful and attractive in appearance and conforms to every detail with the high ideals The Cable Company has always maintained for the artistic Conover. In the upright the Conover Art Carola Inner-Player the Conover piano equipped with the famous Inner-Player action. The Conover Solo Carola Inner-Player is the Conover piano equipped with the celebrated Solo Carola Inner-Player action. The value of a Conover piano, or a Conover-Cable piano is equal to that of a Mason & Hamlin, Chickering, Knabe, and in most cases to that value of a Steinway.

1960 - 350600 1962 - 360000 1964 - 372000 1961 - 355000
1963 - 365000 1965 - 379000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONOVER-CABLE

Conover and Cable consolidated in 1890 to make pianos using all patents and designs of J. Frank Conover. The original cable piano not only had the best qualities that distinguished it as an instrument of high standing, but had superior qualities by construction and design to produce good results. Cable studio pianos were for many years the most acceptable piano in America for schools because they exceeded the specifications by every standard and were made to withstand the tremendous number of hours required by schools. The schools of this time period purchased all pianos, and they were not payoffs for endorsements, advertising or other commercial uses.

1950 - 318000 1958 - 342400 1966 - 386000 1975 - 425700
1951 - 321000 1959 - 345800 1967 - 393000 1976 - 429300
1952 - 323000 1960 - 350600 1969 - 398000 1977 - 434000
1953 - 326000 1961 - 355000 1970 - 401700 1978 - 437000
1954 - 333000 1962 - 360000 1971 - 407300 1979 - 443000
1955 - 336500 1963 - 365000 1972 - 411400 1980 - 448000
1956 - 338000 1964 - 372000 1973 - 415900 1981 - 451000
1957 - 339200 1965 - 379000 1974 - 420700 1982 - 455200

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CLARITONE

The name adopted by Adam Schaaf, Inc., for the perfectly reliable pianos and player-pianos made by that industry. All instruments from the industry named may be depended upon as reliable in every way.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CHUTE & BUTLER

Company made pianos and players, formerly made at Peru, Indiana, is now manufactured by the Schiller Piano Company, Oregon, Illinois. The Chute & Butler instruments had won a good place when the Schiller Company purchased the scales, patterns and trade name and has been manufacturing the Chute& Butler piano and player- piano since September 1, 1920. The original scales of the Chute & Butler pianos have been continued and many changes and improvements have enabled the Schiller Company to hold original patrons and add man y new representatives to the list.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CLAVIOLA

The name applied to admirable interior player pianos made by the Claviola Company, of New York, which industry is controlled by Kindler & Collins.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONTINENTAL

The Continental Piano Co. was originally incorporated in 1912, but the business name and good will was bought several years later by the Jesse French & Sons Piano Co. of New Castle, Ind., who have since made and marketed pleasing and durably constructed instruments under this name. They are instruments of attractive character and are guaranteed by an industry of unquestionable responsibility. The instruments make a strong appeal and have become favorites in piano showrooms and private homes.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CONRAD

Conrad pianos and player-pianos were manufactured by the Kreiter Mfg. Co., at their plant in Marinette, Wis. The name Conrad stands for beauty in design, a sweet ness of tone and reliability. The factory is a model of efficiency and is equipped with the latest and best machinery with which to manufacture good instruments. The factory at Marietta, Wis. , is one of the finest and best equipped in the Northwest. The Conrad piano is a piano noted for its beautiful design and peculiar sweetness of tone. The Conrad pianos are made in several very attractive styles, including grands, upright and pneumatic player-pianos, all of attractive designs.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CREIGHTON

Instruments of durable character bearing this name are produced by Walter S. Pierce Co San Francisco.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CROWN

Pianos which became famous by this name were for many years manufactured by the industry controlled by Mr. Geo. P. Bent of Chicago. The Geo. P. Bent Co. is now owned by the Adler Mfg. Co., of Louisville, Ky., which industry is now producing the "Crown" piano.

Crown pianos by Crown Before 1960:

1900 - 15000 1920 - 72300 1930 - 102500 1940 - 198000
1905 - 33000 1927 - 89000 1933 - 118000 1947 - 243000
1910 - 50000 1928 - 94000 1936 - 153000 1948 - 250000
1915 - 64000 1929 - 98000 1939 - 190000 1949 - 254000

Crown Pianos Made by Aeolian After 1960:
1960 - 364200 1966 - 397700 1972 - 420500 1978 - 440000
1961 - 370700 1967 - 401500 1973 - 424900 1979 - 444000
1962 - 376900 1968 - 405200 1974 - 430300 1980 - 446900
1963 - 383100 1969 - 407500 1975 - 433400 1981 - 449700
1964 - 387900 1970 - 410900 1976 - 436900 1982 - 452400

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

COINOLA

Electric pianos and orchestrions of this name are manufactured by the Operators Piano Co., Inc., of Chicago. Their instruments are coin controlled and they are thoroughly well made, musical and representative. For public places they are unsurpassed and they have won a foremost place among coin operated instruments. Factories at 715 N. Kedzie Ave., Chicago, Ill.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CUNNINGHAM

An attractive and popular piano manufactured by the Cunningham Piano Co. whose factory was at forty ninth. Parkside Ave. and Viola St. and showrooms at 1101 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pa. The Cunningham piano is popular in its home city, Philadelphia, and throughout the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. A Cunningham piano is worthy of rebuilding as an investment

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CURRIER

1965 - 1000 1968 - 16000 1971 - 31000 1974 - 49500
1966 - 6000 1969 - 21000 1972 - 36500 1975 - 56000
1967 - 11500 1970 - 26500 1973 - 42500 1976 - 63000

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

CURTIS

The name of the popular pianos of the Jewett Piano Co. Leominster, Mass. Curtis pianos are guaranteed to he instruments of excellence. Tone quality and responsive action conforming to particular requirements are tests of a piano. Curtis pianos meet these tests. The scale is the result of more than sixty ears of study and experiment in progressive piano making. Curtis pianos are sold throughout New England by M. Steinert & Sons. Boston.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

RETURN TO MAIN PAGE